• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Cold Boot Issue on 3930x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluezero5

Winner, Rig-o'-the-Quarter, Fourth Quarter 2012
Alright, I am trying to set up a new machine, and run into a problem I haven't had before. Insights will be most welcomed.

Setup is such:

3930x on a RIVE board
OS win-7 64 bit

Problem:
Computer cannot finishing load OS during cold boot. Will ALWAYS stop at the logo. (repulicated many times)

however, if during cold boot, you pass by the BIOS, just get in, Save and exit, the system boots without any problems whatsoever. Also passes ALL stress tests, P95, SuperPi32M, IntelBurn, with no problem at all.

now this perplexes me.
what is it does a warm boot and cold boot not have in common?
why does passing the BIOS make the OS load when it otherwise won't?

experiements taking:

Normal reset start: No problem.

now COLD BOOT DOES work, when CPU multiplier is at 48. at 1.50V

so I thought, AH HA, Vcore problem.
BUT upping Vcore by 500mV (to 1.55V) to try Cold Boot: still fail.
still needs to pass by BIOS to boot, and then system totally ok.

System ALWAYS POST.
so what is it that a cold boot requires that a warm boot doesn't?

and WHY it always stop at the window LOGO screen?
any insights?

The problem with cold boot happens with multiplier is 49+, and adding Vcore doesn't seem to fix the problem...

Last edited:
Could you make the BIOS take a little longer to heat up the CPU more at 49x multi? Like a Windows Boot Manager for 15-30s?

Just an idea, since it runs fine on the second try.

I thought so at first too.

I extended the POST screen to (until button push) and waited for 1 min, but still fails on cold boot.

my only lead now is:

There's something in Cold Boot that is not loaded unless BIOS is passed by.
and this something doesn't matter when the multiplier is x48 or lower.....

what can this be? should I persue this lead?

Ok, mystery solved.

CPU GEN FILTER: I had it on enable.
switching it to AUTO makes it work on cold boot.

as every CPU is different, the CPU CLOCK might different slightly, this has lots to do with how the CPU talks to the RAM. for faster RAM (above 2200) you will want to set it to 10UF, and if you are using RAM above 2666 you need 20UF.

I was testing on 2400 ram for this board previously, and now setting lower for someone, and on the reset, I picked 'enable' instead of 'auto', which I thought would react the same, but in fact that's exactly where the Cold Boot issue comes in, the CPU fails to talk right with the RAM, unless through the BIOS where the BIOS sets it right. So this kinda explains everything... at x48, it probably worked cause at that speed, the CPU and still talk to the RAM without must adjustment required.

Back