• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

College Gaming Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Impulse13

Hey guys I'm new here and have been doing some research for a gaming notebook that I want to get. My max price for the notebook after shipping and tax is around $1300.

The ones I have been looking at are the Lenovo Y460 and the M11x i7. I'm also aware of some other gaming notebooks that Dell and Asus have but don't know their benchmarks or the their performance while playing games.

I know that the y460 is more powerful than the m11x i7 but I was wondering how close the m11x can get while overclocking it.

If you guys could lay down some facts to help me make a decision as well as some info on other laptops that would be awesome. thanks!

Hey guys I'm new here and have been doing some research for a gaming notebook that I want to get. My max price for the notebook after shipping and tax is around $1300.

The ones I have been looking at are the Lenovo Y460 and the M11x i7. I'm also aware of some other gaming notebooks that Dell and Asus have but don't know their benchmarks or the their performance while playing games.

I know that the y460 is more powerful than the m11x i7 but I was wondering how close the m11x can get while overclocking it.

If you guys could lay down some facts to help me make a decision as well as some info on other laptops that would be awesome. thanks!

Never heard of an overclocking laptop. However, take a look at alien-ware... Might be what you're looking for.

Are you planning on actually taking this thing to class with you? If so, i can bet the M11X won't do you very well as it's built for power, and not saving power.

Are you planning on actually taking this thing to class with you? If so, i can bet the M11X won't do you very well as it's built for power, and not saving power.

+1

If it were me, I would get a netbook, where it will have 8 hours of run time and you're forced to use it for school and nothing else...

nah i already have a netbook for that purpose. This laptop is just going to be for my games. I don't drink and my gf goes to nyu and i f&m so I don't party so much.

Why not get a desktop when you won't be moving much. Though, laptops are easier for lan parties!

nah i already have a netbook for that purpose. This laptop is just going to be for my games. I don't drink and my gf goes to nyu and i f&m so I don't party so much.

Take a look at the Asus G73. I got mine from Best Buy for ~1200.00. Only down-side: not all G73s are created equally. According to some, I have been very lucky to not have any issues on mine. Some have issues with the GPU, but personally, I have not experienced this. Also, note that the Best Buy version comes with a 1600x900 screen instead of the 1920x1080 screen, and does not come with a second HDD caddy for the empty second slot.

All in all, I spent maybe $150 total on the following: 1 2gig stick of DDR3-1333 (to bring my lappy to the 8 gigs all the others come with), 1 HDD bracket (had to order from an European site, 30 bucks counting shipping...), and a 320G, 7200RPM Western Digital Black HDD. So far I'm very pleased with my investment, and have enjoyed it alot. Again, I know others out there have not been as lucky as me, and have had issues with theirs, but overall, I think it is a great machine.

Just thought I'd chime in. I have the M11x R1 which is the C2D version. I have it with the SU7300. Not much CPU overclocking you can do. In the BIOS its either on/off no custom overclocking. You can however overclock the 335M GPU in it. On the R1 I scored 7129 on 3DMark06 at native resolution. Not a bad gaming laptop. The R2, core-i series M11x has a little less battery life, but you get better results for gaming, though not by much at all. Mostly with CPU intensive games. However, I will warn you. The M11x has a weak hinge system, something alienware didn't learn from with the old M15 system. If you get one definately get the warranty as the screen will likely need to be replaced. But over all it is a great computer. I would highly recommend it. The R1 gets about 8hrs battery life where as the R2 gets about 7 hours. As for the R2, I'm sure there are still some optimus issues.

College and Gaming don't mix.

Just my 3 cents.

Agreed. May average jumped 15 percent in 2nd year into 3rd simply by getting rid of my gaming desktop and replacing it with a lame notebook. Although I still played games I was limited to a few older titles that constantly stuttered and crashed on my anemic acer.
Personally, I would think that a smaller and somewhat more slugish gaming laptop such as the alienware mx11 would be great- a perfect mix of power and limitations. Eitherway, I think the most important thing is to not by a desktop that your going to want to constantly tinker with.

I too was looking into the famed G73 laptop and I almost bought it until I did some research. The bestbuy model is plagued with issues (for most, not all) and has an inferior screen compared to other models.

I did some research on XoticPC Forums and those guys pointed out a less known beast. Look into the Sager 8690, you will surely not be disappointed as the cooling and build quality on that thing is incredible...

I also like how it doesnt have as much of a bling factor as other gaming notebooks, and it' right in your price range.

The sales guys at xotic have been extremely nice and informative, so they've earned my business.

BTW (like others have stated) overclocking on laptops is at a minimum at best because of their mobility and smaller cooling solutions....

Last edited:
Back