• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Color banding on LCD's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike89

Yesterday I just bought my first LCD monitor (NEC 70GX2, 4ms response time). I have mixed views so far getting used to this new look vs my old CRT. Sometimes I think I like it better and sometimes I think I don't like it as much. This is going to take some time for me to really decide one way or the other.

I notice some banding in the sky on one game I have played so far that was not there on my CRT. I have been reading some since I got my LCD (I know, I should have done this before instead of after) and now am confused on this 6 panel vs 8 panel stuff.

Here is a quote from about.com on this:

How to Tell if an LCD is 8-Bit or 6-Bit

This is the biggest problem for individuals who are looking at purchasing an LCD monitor. Most manufacturers do not list the color depth of their display. Even fewer will list the actual per-color depth. If the manufacturer lists the color as 16.7 million colors, it should be assumed that the display is 8-bit per-color. If the colors are listed as being 16.2 million or 16 million, consumers should assume that it uses a 6-bit per-color depth. If no color depths is listed, it should be assumed that monitors of 12ms or faster will be 6-bit and the 20ms and slower panels are 8-bit.

Does it Really Matter?

This is very subjective to the actual user and what the computer is used for. The amount of color really matters to those that do professional work on graphics. For these people, the amount of color that is displayed on the screen is very important. The average consumer is not going to really need this level of color representation by their monitor. As a result, it probably doesn't matter. People using their displays for video games or watching video will likely not care about the number of colors rendered by the LCD but by the speed at which it can be displayed. As a result, it is best to determine your needs and base your purchase on those criteria.

Now from that I'm assuming mine is a 6 bit panel since my specs are listed as 16.2 million colors with a 4ms response time (interesting how this 6 bit/8 bit info is not listed anywhere on the specs sheet).

Now I still have the question about the color banding in games. I hope I don't have to look forward to playing all my games now with color banding when I didn't have it before with my CRT. I've only played one game so far with the visible banding (Bloodrayne 2). I'm almost afraid to play anymore and see more color banding. I will be so bummed if they all do it (especially since this monitor is supposed to be a gamers LCD).

I would be most interested to hear from some experienced LCD users on this.

Last edited:
http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_x9g_komodoV.htm

Display 16.7M colors

guess mine is 8 bit, but its supposed to be 8ms, even the little plastic sticker on the bezel (I say that right?) says "8ms Ultra High speed Response Time"

so maybe the rule doesnt always apply?

or maybe sceptre is um, "embelishing" on one of the stats :eh?:

they do after all, list some of their 19" 1280 * 1024 LCDs as haveing a pixel pitch of 2.64 right on the manufactur web site...... , you know thats wrong

wich brings me to a question, is there any point in playing games in 32 bit color over 16 bit on an LCD ? or am I just reduceing my frame rates for nothing

oh, and whats color banding :p

Last edited:
my monitor has a problem where pixels above eye level get darker and darker, if I slouch down to where my eyes are level with the bottom of the monitor, the whole screen is glossed over like a shiny black or something, it just looks crazy

but viewing from left, right, or above, even from the most extream angles is fine, well, a little washed out, but fine otherwize

Check this link, about halfway down. There is a blue square displaying 256 color hues of blue. Shown is how a 6 bit panel LCD will display it. That's the color banding I was talking about.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2289&p=16

This bugs me and I notice it a lot. Maybe some don't but I sure do. Because of this, I have boxed up this LCD and will be returning it Monday. Got to get me an 8 bit one or I just won't be satisfied. Live and learn, I should have done more research before I bought it. It was one of those splurge of the moments deals.

One thing I will say. I hooked my CRT back up and man I sure can see now how much more crisp the image was with the LCD (although it doesn't display photos as well, maybe an 8 bit panel would?). It was a dam good LCD, other than it being a 6 bit panel. 4ms response and 700:1 contrast is top of the line (it's why I bought it, before I knew anything about 6 bit/8 bit). To bad those stats couldn't have come with the 8 bit panel, but no such animal exists right now.

Last edited:
The manufacturers claimed latency is only "best case". Some 4ms panels have latencies exceeding 32ms in some situations.

There are a few fast 8bit panels. The VP930b is an 8bit, 8ms, 1000:1 screen with a latency that never exceeds ~16ms.

Back