• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Combining supplies?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aphex_Tom_9

i found a "Spi Sparkle Power Dual Redundant Power Supply" which is basically 2 400 watt sparkle psu's in an enclosure. i want to know-
if i splice all the wires from 1 psu into the other, can i potentially double the output wattage of the system to something like an 800 watt psu??? and never have to worry about amperage shortcomings again?

ive combined 2 +12v wires from the same ps into 1 for a peltier and it seems to work fine.

no! that's not what i mean at all. i can get 2 400 watt sparkle (good quality) PSU's for cheap, and want to know if i can somehow splice the lines together and make a 800 watt PS. or dedicate one to my MB/CPU and the other to my peripherals.

It sounds like it would just have one set of cables, and just have a 2nd PSU inside it, incase the 1st ****s the bed. I don't think it's possible to use it as 2x PSU's.

pic of the units-
0b_1_b.JPG
note the 2x atx connectors.
it's basically 2 psu's in a holder. i want to know if i can make one. or at least use them for different parts of my system.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
pic of the units-
0b_1_b.JPG
note the 2x atx connectors.
it's basically 2 psu's in a holder. i want to know if i can make one. or at least use them for different parts of my system.

I need a model number on the PSU and I will look into it for you and see if I can find any info on it. Or better yet you could do it and send me the link. LOL

I run 2 PSUs so of course it can be done but they are not in a redundant configuration. You would need to make some wire modifications to the PSU itself. Send me a PM when you find some specs for me.

There is no way (well there is but it can be complicated, time consuming, what you will end with will have a much bigger footprint in your case then what you have now) you will be able to make 1 big PSU out of 2 small ones. I do think that you will be able to have 2 400 W PSUs running different parts of your system. I highly recommend keeping the power seperate. If one shorts it will take the other with it which could leave for some very unpleasant results. Which usually involve smoke, and flames.

Last edited:
well, i have yet to purchase them, to tell the truth, they're on ebay. i just wanted to keep it kinda secret...seeing as how the last thing i posted got taken...anyway, you suggest using them independently for different parts of the system? would that be better than a single fortron 530 powering everything? (btw, fortron and sparkle are basically the same, so they're high quality)

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
well, i have yet to purchase them, to tell the truth, they're on ebay. i just wanted to keep it kinda secret...seeing as how the last thing i posted got taken...anyway, you suggest using them independently for different parts of the system? would that be better than a single fortron 530 powering everything? (btw, fortron and sparkle are basically the same, so they're high quality)

I have my two PSUs (880W total) set up to be completely seperated in their duties. My 430 True Power powers just my PC and drives that is it. My other (450w Antec Smartpower) handles all of my cooling. I have a lot of cooling. This way I don't have to worry about if my HDD's are on the same run as my fans and thereby generating noise. It keeps my power clean and my voltage and OC stable and allows me to run as many drives or whatever I want.

okay, i think im gonna jump on this deal. ill use one to provide dedicated mobo/cpu/ram power, and the other for cooling and drives and such. i may even use one to power a peltier in the future...

but guys, how the hell do u fool the secondary power supply, the one that is not connected to the mobo, to turn on? which wires do u have to connect?
I currently have my 2 supplies and set them up for just that then it came to my attention that i was a retard cause after all the effort, i didnt know how to turn it on.

sami_la said:
but guys, how the hell do u fool the secondary power supply, the one that is not connected to the mobo, to turn on? which wires do u have to connect?
I currently have my 2 supplies and set them up for just that then it came to my attention that i was a retard cause after all the effort, i didnt know how to turn it on.
it's actaully very very simple. the green wire in the ATX connector is the PSU 'on' sense wire, if you switch on the PSU without connecting it to a mobo or shorting the green wire, it wont turn on. if you switch it on and then short the green wire to any black wire with a paperclip or something, the psu turns on and stays on until you stop shorting the green wire. i plan to wire both green wires from both psu's together, and plug that into the Mobo, so they operate simultaneously.

Methinks there is an adapter that would do such a thing. Perhaps you could buy one <ill start looking for one for you now>

Hey Tom, Here is a link buy 2 of these. and follow THIS
to make it happen. I did this months ago and it works fantastic here is a few pics of the one I made.

Dual_PSU_Pins_Pulled.JPG

Finished_End.JPG

IMGA0058.JPG

I hope this helps. :D

wow, thanks :) that's neat. i was thinking of just splicing the green and grey wires together though, it might be easier, ill make my judgement when the units arrive.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
wow, thanks :) that's neat. i was thinking of just splicing the green and grey wires together though, it might be easier, ill make my judgement when the units arrive.

Green and any Black. for start up

The Gray and any Black is a "Power Good" check for the PSU from the MB. Some PSUs need that in order to stay on. Some don't depends on the PSU.

The Gray and the Black is just one big loop on my connector. I did that so I had 4 wires connecting to the second ATX connector for better support and rigidity then just the Black and Green. If you followed the link I gave you you can see what I'm talking about. Also you can see that I just removed all the unused wires unlike the other example where they just cut the wires flush and covered them with potting compound.

Electron Chaser said:
Green and any Black. for start up

The Gray and any Black is a "Power Good" check for the PSU from the MB. Some PSUs need that in order to stay on. Some don't depends on the PSU.

The Gray and the Black is just one big loop on my connector. I did that so I had 4 wires connecting to the second ATX connector for better support and rigidity then just the Black and Green. If you followed the link I gave you you can see what I'm talking about. Also you can see that I just removed all the unused wires unlike the other example where they just cut the wires flush and covered them with potting compound.
yeah, i meant the green and grey from both psu's together so they act at the same time. i kno how it works.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
yeah, i meant the green and grey from both psu's together so they act at the same time. i kno how it works.

OK I figured you did, wasn't trying to insult your intelligence, just making sure that was what you meant. :eek:

Back