• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coming Soon: "The Voodoo Mac"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey, how did you light the logo? Do you have leds around the edges of the window or are you just using a neon inside?

Digital Pimp said:
could you take the front off and let us see the insides as well as the backplate.

That picture wouldn't turn out. THe flash on my digital camera is too strong to I'm going to need to work up a reflector or collomator of some kind before I can take good pics.

That or I'll just use different lighting and disable the flash...

thef0x82 said:
Hey, how did you light the logo? Do you have leds around the edges of the window or are you just using a neon inside?
It recently snowed so there was a plethora of blueish white light coming through the windows. I will be lighting it inside the case with an 8 inch white cold cathode that I plucked out of a dead scanner.

I'll try to get a new picture ASAP

Captain Slug said:
Okay. This project is on hold until I get a new PSU. After getting shocked with 120VAC in the same hand within 3 hours, I have concluded that

Naked PSU = Bad
dead.gif

Edit: hey cool, I can barely move my thumb...

haha, i got zapped by a capcaitor once, god, that hurt like hell. I didn't know what was going one for a second, my arm felt all "wobbly" for a second, then it reeeeeeeally hurt. Naked PSU == VERY BAD :(

Captain Slug said:

I will be lighting it inside the case with an 8 inch white cold cathode that I plucked out of a dead scanner.

I'll try to get a new picture ASAP

Cold cathode out of a dead scanner huh? I think I've got one of those lying around. How'd you wire that?

thef0x82 said:
How'd you wire that?

It has the same connector that my other inverters have, but the inverter inside the scanner is setup to draw more amperage than PSU can feed. So I'm going to need to buy one normally used for inside PCs.

Originally posted by Captain Slug

That or I'll just use different lighting and disable the flash...

Try using a desk lamp or something, and use the camera without the flash.

*OR* put the puter on it's back under the room light, and use the camera that way, again without the flash.

iamthegreatest said:
Originally posted by Captain Slug
Try using a desk lamp or something, and use the camera without the flash.

I've tried a couple things and taping a scrap of paper over the flash seems to work rather well. I wish I could adjust the shutter timing...

Man I wish I had my older camera back...

i have an inverter from the first cold cathode i bought. it was from svc. when i got my new cathode, its inverter can power 2 cathodes. if thats the kind of inverter you want, let me know. it would cost next to nothing for me to mail it. that will look great with some light behind it (as soon as you clear up some of the wires). after you have all the power wires you need, why not just open up the psu, and cut out the extra lines you dont need. namagomi just did that on a box he built, and it keeps the inside oh so much cleaner. i dont think you'll be needing the extra molex plugs later. are you really going to be adding anything to that box later? anyway, good luck! cant wait to see it done.

I don't want to snip lines off the PSU but I could stuff the P4 and P6 connectors inside it. That's what's creating the mess.

*does happy dance

Thanks SRJ!
The roads around here are screwed up because of the newly fallen snow so I won't be able to get to an auto body shop until monday. I'm going to try taking better pics now...

New Pictures!
2_ba3.jpg

2_ba4.jpg

I'm contemplating adding an intake fan to the top (behind the handle).
Edit: Oops. One won't fit there. I'll have to put one on the right side infront of the PSU.

Last edited:
I was just thinking, if it's going to be light with that white cathode, how about giving the case a coat of black paint?

Abra_Volta said:
I was just thinking, if it's going to be light with that white cathode, how about giving the case a coat of black paint?

It's currently WAY too cold for paint to adhere to the shell. I'm hoping to get an automotive quality paint job on MOnday in either silver, or black.

i'd say put some phosphores...yeah.. you know.. glowing dye in the apple design. that would rock.

Also, cutting out those stupid AUX and p4 power headers is a freaking godsend. I hate messing! :)D) around with all those extra wires i'll never need. I highly reccomend it

Last edited:
Namagomi said:
i'd say put some phosphores...yeah.. you know.. glowing dye in the apple design. that would rock.

Also, cutting out those stupid AUX and p4 power headers is a freaking godsend. I hate ******* around with all those extra wires i'll never need. I highly reccomend it

You might want to edit that.

I just shoved them inside the PSU and it made a big difference. The only reason I'm not snipping them off is because I'm selling this machine to somebody.

Namagomi said:
wait, you're selling the bad apple?? nooooooo! to who?
A very needy teenager who's currently stuck trying to play newer games on a K6-2 300 with 64mb and integrated video (The though of that just makes me cringe).

The money will be used to pay for a much needed upgrade to my Mom's machine (upgrading to Duron 900)

Last edited:
Back