• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

comments? Suggested alternatives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

I'm most likely going to be ordering parts to build a new system this month and I've tentatively chosen the following:

It'll be for an all-around use computer, with plenty of 4K 60Hz gaming involved, so I'm looking for comments/suggestions on my chosen parts. It's been a few years since I've built one and I haven't really kept up on the latest tech. Just wanna make sure there are no "gotchas" I missed or alternatives that would work far better than what I chose which I missed hearing about...

$1200 - nVidia Titan X (Maybe 2 of them)
$350 - Intel i-7 6700K
$279 - Asus ROG Maximus Hero Alpha
$200 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 (8Gbx2)
$320 - Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD
$160 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
$110 - Corsair Hydro H110i
$140 - Fractal Designs Define XL R2 Case
$170 - Corsair AX860i
$140 - Windows 8.1 Pro x64
$80 - (4) Noctua NF-P14 FLX fans
$80 -(4) Noctua NF-P12-1300 fans

Prices are approximations I got from Newegg, though I may order parts from more than one vendor. I also have 3 or 4 mechanical drives I'll be incorporating into this build which aren't listed.

I'm open to using alternative components but the one area I will not deviate from is the slot layout on the mobo. it must be that exact configuration in case I decide to add another Titan X.

1080's are faster than Titan X. A couple of 1070's will do the job for 4K.

I'd go with an Asrock Mobo, like the z170 Extreme4/6.

Looks good other than that.

1080's are faster than Titan X. A couple of 1070's will do the job for 4K.

I'd go with an Asrock Mobo, like the z170 Extreme4/6.

Looks good other than that.

I should have specified that I'm referring to the "new" pascal-based Titan X due out tomorrow.

I am not that excited about the M.2 slot placement being under the first video card on the Asrock boards. To be honest, I'm not too fond of the placement on the Asus either but at least it's not under the primary video card.

If it turns out that I "need" a second pascal-based Titan X I can live with it but I'd rather not have the M.2 buried under the primary video card if I can help it.

The Extreme 7+ has it on the back-side of the primary, between the slot and the CPU, but that board earned the "extreme" name for its unattractiveness. (i.e. It's ugly as sin.)

Thanks for looking things over. I appreciate a second set of eyes on the config since it's been about 3 years since I built a system.

Back