• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp Died Overnight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just got the other PSU today and hooked it up, and it seems to be running great. I have not had any issues with it so far, I just find it strange that it could run another PC (older dual core, HD 6850) without issue even while gaming and stress testing but it couldn't run the rig in my sig. I guess it consumes more power than my older rig. :shrug:

Anyway, I will run with this for now and RMA my PSU.

I unsolved this thread because... well... after a few days it's doing it again.

Basically it started out doing the same thing I described earlier in the thread with my other PSU, where I'd have to remove power completely from the motherboard and then restore it, and press the power button. It did this a few times, but then it became a little different.

Now it acts as if the power button is pressed all the time even when no power button is connected. As soon as I switch the PSU back on the computer turns on, then cuts off a second later. I don't even have to push a power button, just turn the switch of the PSU on.

I am seriously lost with this. Maybe my old PSU wasn't bad... I don't know. Somebody please have any suggestions!

I will soon have an i5-4670K and an ASRock z97 Extreme 6 mobo so I can use both PSUs as well as my RAM on the new system too, but I expect them to work with the new findings.

I seriously think it's the mobo, but I don't know what to do next especially if ASUS is no help with their RMA service. :shrug:

remove all but 1 drive.
change sata cable
change sata power to another.
one stick of ram, try in each slot.
try next stick in each slot.

That's the thing, it does this even without a power button attached at all. It will turn on by itself now and turn off a second or two later.

I suggested that, because I remember that happening when I was temporarily using a motherboard in a salvaged case.
I may have made a button from a mix of stuff. It would sometimes get stuck, IIRC. (That was in 2002, LOL.)
(Probably summer, when I had the T-bird 1.3 Ghz 100 Mhz FSB in my new case of the time.)

(It was a system I put together for a friend I had on the campus in 2002.)

Ok, changing my RAM from slot to slot made no difference. But, a friend of mine brought over a couple of sticks of RAM straight from his computer, I stuck them in, and the computer worked!

Then I turned it off because I wasn't using it at the time, and went to turn it back on and... once again, back to the same issue with his RAM.

So... WTF? :bang head

Well, from everything I've tried, short of getting a new CPU, I think I can safely assume that this motherboard is toast.

It seriously acts as if the power button is being held WITHOUT A POWER BUTTON BEING CONNECTED. I guess on occasion it does somehow work, but when I can unplug the computer all night, reset the CMOS jumper, leave the power buttons disconnected, and as soon as I plug the computer in it starts up completely on its own without me pressing a single thing, and then cuts off within seconds, I can only say that THIS. MOTHERBOARD. IS. DEAD.

And on top of it all ASUS' RMA service is terrible. Definitely not going to be buying an ASUS product again. I will try ASUS RMA one more time and let you all know how that goes, and if it's still a dud, I will post back whenever I get a new (non-ASUS) motherboard and let you know how that goes, but it will be a while because I will barely scrape by financially this month.

In the meantime, I hope my ASUS laptop I'm having to use doesn't die out of the blue like my motherboard did.

EDIT: I am being too quick to judge and going mainly off of a recent thread I have been reading over someone else's bad experience and expecting the worst with mine. I was just scared of what other people have been through yet so far my only problem is they didn't catch the issue on the first RMA. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and my opinion of ASUS will be considered by the end of this process. I wasn't in a good mood when I said "NEVER AGAIN!" to ASUS, and I apologize for jumping to conclusions before I've even finished dealing with them.

Last edited:
I got a response within a few hours of requesting a new RMA, said they'd even include a shipping voucher so I don't have to pay.

I guess I could give them the benefit of the doubt... if they hooked up the motherboard to diagnose it and it worked, just like it did a few times with me after replacing PSU/RAM, then I can't really blame them for bad CS. I am mainly saying I will never by ASUS again because I have read of their recent track record all too much even here on these forums over how bad their CS is.

So far I guess I can't really blame them. Their CS has been very fast to respond with me, and if they actually solve the problem this time I might actually by ASUS again, I'll take back what I said. Just... you know... other people's experiences have me frightened to say the least. If something has a warranty I want them to stand by it.

you should inform them that this is an intermittent problem, and needs to have several successful power cycles in a row before it can be declared 'fixed' otherwise if it boots once, they will ship it back to you.

I would really like to know the outcome of this rma, I had the nic issue with a couple of my ch5-f boards, they took care of them all very well, but i had to pay the one way shipping.
one thing that was really nice was that i had fried the fan headers on one of the boards with three 120x38-3000rpm fans, and they even fixed that!!

Back