• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp Restarts During Bootup. Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elva lover

okie... um.. first i'll describe my computer.
Everything is at stock.
Corsair 256MB XMS2700 Cas2
Leadtek GF4 ti4200 128mb
SB Live! Value
enermax 430W dual fan psu
Maxtor 60gb 7200rpm ata133 hdd
gigabyte GA-7VRXP
AMD 2000+
Volcano 9
Panasonic 16x DVD
LG 40x12x40 cdrw
panasonic 1.44mb floppy

Now, um 1 thing I alwayz noticed was that the bios alwayz read the cpu temp VERY high. before, it was 90-100. now, (i just reinstalled the HSF twice) the bios reads the cpu temp as 70. however, system temp was alwayz 25-30. don't know if this is a normal problem with this mobo or if it REALLY is that temp.

just recently (ie a day or 2 ago) all of a sudden during bootup, the computer will alwayz restart. does anyone kno why or can help me out here?

desperate 4 sum help! (and if u happen 2 kno wut's wrong with the weird temp in bios and/or how 2 fix it. dat would help 2... but the major thing is how 2 make it stop rebooting)

thnx!

try reinstalling windows. What version of windows are you using also? I remember having problems with 98/se/me randomly stopping...and never booting again. It was prolly viruses. but, try doing a format and reinstall.

it's running XP. i don't know how i'll reformat it. the part that it restarts is the screen right after the detecting ide part. it doesn't even get to the loadup screen (windows XP logo with a blue bar thing) and then reboots itself...

Do one of these things:
-Unplug the power cable, plug, start.
-Press the reset a few times until it boots properly
-Send it to me, you have garbage, I'll dispose of it, you pay shipping.

1st 2 dun work..

hmz.. it's okie. i can dispose of it myself free of charge.

but den.. dere goes lyk $1700 down tha drain.. hah ne more ideas ppl???

Go get your mobo instruction book and clear the CMOS.
Has happend to me.
If that doesn't work then try to boot it up without cd's, floppy, extra HDs, etc... just the bare minimum.
If those dont' work then I'm out of ideas.

yea.. i wuz thinkin of clearin cmos... gonna try it now.. but the boot thing won't work.. hah it doesn't even GET to the boot screen and then restarts lol

If you boot up with only RAM, CPU, and floppy plugged in and it boots successfully, then one of your other components is bad. If it doesn't boot with the config above, then I would suspect bad RAM. If you have 2 sticks, remove one and try it. If it still doesn't boot, replace the first and remove the 2nd and try it. If it still doesn't boot, then suspect either the CPU, mobo, or PSU. You will have to either test them in another computer or replace them one at a time. The fact that the CPU was running 70 degrees plus indicates either an insufficient HSF or a bad mobo sensor.

er.. okie.. i put the hdd in another computer and that computer started to restart @ that point as well. would that indicate a bad hdd, messed up bios settings (altho i just reset cmos) or a virus? the bios seems to detect the hdd btw...

Last edited:
bleh! happened to me while I was overclocking! I overclocked too high (or changed some odd settng) and my computer was stuck in the continuous rebooting loop from hell!!! Not even loading fail safe defaults would fix it, or clearing the CMOS! I tried everything!

I could only solve it by reformatting the whole thing (which took aaaages). It was an annoyance as I lost all my stuff on there, but ah well, it's over now.

*strokes computer*

elva lover said:
er.. okie.. i put the hdd in another computer and that computer started to restart @ that point as well. would that indicate a bad hdd, messed up bios settings (altho i just reset cmos) or a virus? the bios seems to detect the hdd btw...

Have you tried what Jimmy G said and just startup with only the motherboard, RAM, and CPU/HSF? It should get past RAM/IDE checks and verifying the DMI pool, then give you a boot error if it's working properly. This helps you narrow down what the problem is. I'm guessing it probably is the HDD from what you're saying, but I'd still check the other components as well.

yea. i tried wut jimmy g said... and it boot up ok... so it's not the cpu/ram/mobo. but i couldn't reformat cuz when i bootup with a bootup disc.. it said couldn't detect drive? mayb i need a winXP bootup disc since c drive is ntfs? but then.. d drive is fat32... can i still can't c it...

I"m having the same problem with my setup running win2k.. After the splash screen gets finished loading up whatever (( the blue bar fills up )) it reboots.

I'm yackering about it in another Thread

The only thing I haven't tried yet is another PSU.. But i've swapped out everything which rules out I believe any virus's.. I"m guessing its my hd controller or the psu.. I'll have to dig in on it more later.

Back