• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compaq R4000 Keyboard Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whiteemcee

I have this very strange problem with a Compaq R4000 laptop keyboard. Whenever you try and type using any of the keys on the bottom row of the keyboard with the exception of "B" and "N" the laptop types 3 totally different characters. I tried booting to a linux live cd to see if the same thing happened in Linux and sure enough it does. I also tried another keyboard off from an identical laptop and it does the same thing. The other thing is if you plug a USB Keyboard in to the laptop it works great. Could this possibly be an issue with the system board in the laptop? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated..

Have you tried cleaning it? Pop off the keyboard and dust spray it.... you might even have to wash it, which will be fine as long as you let it dry. I'm guessing a spilled drink may have shorted something important.

Well the spilled drink theory is right on.. It is a friends laptop and yes a drink was spilled on it about 2 years ago just after he bought it.. It has worked fine up until last week though. I dont believe the keyboard itself is the issue as I said I have tried a new one with the same result. I'm beginning to think it must be something with the system board.

Back