• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compatible motherboards for Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got a message back from xfx and the technician (Brian) said that the board would support the 95 watt pII's as long as you had your bios updated to version 1.3!! :D

Good to hear, only way to find out now.

M3A79T-Deluxe has an updated BIOS

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that we finally have an AM3 section :) I'm a little scared that the socket AM3 boards are a bit pricey so far. Hopefully the prices will come down sooner than later. I always liked the fact that AMD boards were less expensive than Intel boards, and I hope that doesn't change anytime soon. I suppose since the AM3 cpu's are overclocking so well it's not that surprising that the boards would cost more too.

:bang head

I bought a Newegg bundled set I have been trying to get to get stable. The Phenom II X4 810 and Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H mainboard.

Company Name: Gigabyte
Model Number: GA-MA790GP-UD4H
Bios Version: F1
Chipset: 790GX
SB: SB750
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Mot...rd&ProductID=3004&ProductName=GA-MA790GP-UD4H

It wasn't advertized as an AM3 socket in either of the part descriptions on the Newegg site. Gigabyte's website specifications also do not list this socket in its general description but it does show up as a supported AM3 chip on the supported chip link:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3004

I have an email in to Newegg and will call Gigabyte on Monday to see if I can get some answers as to why it crashes and restarts as soon as it tries to load the os. I already called Kingston regarding some posts claiming there are inherent issues between the Phenom II and memory -- 2 gig sets (4 gig total). I have tried OCing the board to try to stabilize voltages and settings as the Bios seems to only recognize default settings but no joy. Always same result. Is there anything obvious I could be overlooking here as the finger pointing is looming between board, chip, & mem manufactures? I do not want to have to wait months for a new bios revision that may not correct all the issues.

Sorry for the dissertation.

Sorry My comment on memory was misleading. I have 1 set of 2 gig sticks (4gig Total). I have tried them indivigually but with the same result. I did find this varient board on Gigabyte's site

Company Name: Gigabyte
Model Number: GA-MA790GP-DS4H
Bios Version: F3
Chipset: 790GX
SB: SB750
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Mot...rd&ProductID=2887&ProductName=GA-MA790GP-DS4H

It also states it supports AM3 with the same N & S chips but a revised Bios. I'm wondering if that bios version would correct the issuse?

i just thought i would throw this out there.
not all mobo maker web sites are up to date, some times you have to venture into other countries sites to find the stuff or some one eles site.

for example Rebels Haven has Official and Modded bios for the TA 770 A2+ that add 45nm support
http://www.lejabeach.com/Biostar/TA770A2+/
theres a bunch more bios for a bunch more boards too
http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/index.htm#bios
left side of the screen

while i am at it TA770A2+ bios are different than TA770A2+ SE bios

Any board listed as supporting AM2/AM2+/AM3 cpus will only use DDR2, as it is an AM2+ board with support for AM3 cpus, very different then an AM3 board.

The first post could use an edit, as plenty of AM3 boards exist that aren't 800 series chipsets.

I have Gigabyte's GA-MA770-DS3(Rev 1) and I know for a fact that the cpu support list used to include the 720. Now, all of the AM3 cpu's are coming up as unsupported. Anyone have a clue as to what gives with this? You think it's actually unsupported or is Gigabyte trying to get me to buy a new MOBO?

This thread hasn't been updated in some time and is almost not needed anymore. Since 95% of all AM2+ boards support the Phenom II.

If you do have a AM2+ board that you bought before the Phenom IIs came out, update the BIOS and it will support the new CPUs.

Hi Dolk. Did you check the link in post #50? It's Gigabyte's page for the CPU's this MOBO supports. It's saying that my board does not support any AM3 CPU. I'm just worried that my board is part of the 5%. Then again it could be a good way into conning the wife into letting me do upgrades :D

Take my opinion, its not compatible, get the new mobo :D

In truth its not supported.

Just a little doubt here. About this motherboard: ECS A780GM-A (V1.1) :: N/A :: 780G :: SB700
When you guys say it's compatible with the phenom II x4, I'm about to buy a Phenom IIx4 925, with this board, I have to buy it with AM2+ socket or can I buy it with the AM3 socket? both sockets work with this board or just the AM2+?

The Phenom II 925 is an AM3 CPU and as such will run in either an AM2+ board or an AM3 board, whichever you prefer. AM2+ boards use DDR2 RAM, AM3 boards use DDR3 RAM. If you decide on an AM2+ board you should check the manufacturers website and make sure the 925 is on the CPU compatibility list. The CPU will fit the AM2+ socket but it also requires BIOS support and not all manufacturers provide that ...

Back