• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Complete build opinions - Top end rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mayonati

Let's say there is this gamer / video editor / etc with near unlimited funds. He or she wishes to construct a rig of the most behemoth proportions. Their current system and all peripherals are out of date, and thus it is deemed vital for a completely new, revitalised computer and set of instruments on which to operate this computer.

Below I post a specification.. I would greatly appreciate comments, ideas, suggestions and opinions on this theoretical super-system. Opinions such as whether it's better to wait for X amount of time for a certain new processor, whether one brand of hard drive is better than another, or whether 2 graphics cards will generally perform just as well as three for most applications.

I fell out of "the loop" quite some time ago so I am a little lost as to the new standards. When I last was seriously involved in "hardcore" computing and OCing, processor quality and speed was generally measured in the MHz and GHz rather than how many cores it has. Basically everything in computing has moved on since then, and I'm appreciative of any suggestions, comments and opinions that you might have on this super rig :)

A few caveats:

1) All suggested components must be from the same site, www.overclockers.co.uk - unless they're fairly cheap.

2) It's a theoretical system with a theoretically unlimited budget, so you don't need to feel held down by cost WITHIN REASON. So, whilst there's no need to suggest a lower component purely because it's cheaper, please don't go suggesting those £2,000-per-card super-special-dedicated-CAD type graphics cards :D

3) No watercooling. Air only.

Thank you all!

Specification:

Intel Core i7 975 3.33Ghz (Nehalem) Extreme Edition (Socket LGA1366) - Retail

Intel X25-E Extreme 64GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (SSDSA2SH064G1)

Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

EVGA Classified 4-Way SLI Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard (170-BL-E762-A1)

EVGA GeForce GTX 295 Co-Op FTW 1792MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card (Single PCB)

Zalman GT1000 Z-Machine Case - Black

Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-16000C8 2000MHz Triple Channel Kit (CMG6GX3M3A2000C8)

Logitech Z-5500 THX Certified 5.1 Speaker System (970115-0120)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro 7.1 Sound Card (70SB055A02000)

Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA-II 64MB Cache - OEM (WD2001FASS)

Tagan PipeRock TG1100-BZ 1100w Modular BZ Series Power Supply

Pioneer BDR-S05 12x Blu-Ray Writer / 16x DVD±RW Drive - Black (Retail)

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate - Retail (Full Version)

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution (920-000449)

Coolermaster V10 TEC Hybrid CPU Cooler (Socket 940/AM2/AM3/LGA775/LGA1366)

Akasa AK-178-UV 12" Cold Cathode - Ultra-Violet

Akasa AK-178-BL 12" Cold Cathode - Blue

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)

Akasa SATA-2 100cm DayGlo Blue UV Data Cable

Let's see that graphically:

newpc1.jpg

newpc2.jpg

newpc3.jpg

(Click images to see them in full size)

My main concerns (and subsequently questions) are:

1) Each graphics card will take up two slots, I assume, so with the sound card in the last slot, I'd have no spare PCIE slots remaining (as there are 7 in total. 2 spaces taken up by each card times 3 cards = 6, plus sound).

2) Ideally I want to put the two SSD drives in RAID 0 for the speed/space as a system (C) drive for the OS and programs, and put the two rust drives in RAID1 mirroring for data safety. Can this RAID configuration be done on the motherboard? Which is supposed to support RAID. More importantly, can the mobo have two different RAID schemes going on at the same time?

3) Obviously if the above is "no", I'll need a RAID/SATA adaptor card.. Which means the loss of one graphics card.

4) There should be enough SATA slots, IIRC this mobo has like 9 ports. But are some treated differently / at slower speeds than others? Is there a disadvantage to having 6 drives simultaniously? (4HDs plus 2 optical) (This may seem a very noobish question.. But the last time I built a rid it was using IDE :D)

5) Is there really an advantage of having THREE of those graphics cards rather than just two? Is there likely to be much performance game in the highest end games at the highest settings? Will it even work properly using 3 cards or is this one of those cases, like multiple processors, where apps have to be written specifically for SLI.. especially beyond 2 cards (this mobo actually supports up to 4! Sheesh...)

6) Are there known quality / data safety issues with these SSDs, or RAID 0, beyond the obvious? (if one drive breaks, all data is lost)

7) Generally, is there anything in this system that is incompatible / may cause problems?

8) The OS would be 64-bit obviously. Do all of these components have 64 bit drivers?

9) The Heatsink is very big.. Would it fit ok in the case? Would it get in the way of anything on the motherboard?

10) The graphics cards are very big - will the SATA cables be able to fit into the mobo with enough clearance? Or would I need to use right-angle cables on the mobo? In the case of right-angles, if the slots are in banks with one in front of another, will the cables block access to the next SATA port along? And if so, will I still be able to access enough slots to plut in all 6 of the devices? (I recently had this problem on a computer that I had to fix).

Anything else you can think to mention.. I appreciate it :)

Thanks!

Edit:
Links to all of the components for reference:

Processor
SSD Hard Drives
Monitor
Motherboard
Graphics Cards
Case
RAM
Speakers
Sound Card
SATA Hard Drives (rust)
Power Supply
Optical Drives
NOTE: It seems there is a problem with those optical drives at the moment, so also see these:
Other Optical Drives
OS
Keyboard & Mouse
Heatsink & Fan
SATA cables

I didn't bother linking the TIM as everyone knows Arctic Silver, or the CCs as they're just cosmetic.

So, that's it! Any opinions/suggestions/warnings/etc?
Thanks again :)

Couple questions:

1. What job do you have?
2. Where can I apply?

Couple things:

1. I would change out that PSU for something better. Maybe a Silverstone ST1500 or a Corsair HX1000. Maybe a TT toughpower 1200w.

2. I would get a bigger monitor. You're spending over $7000 on a computer, you might as well get something giant.

3. I would probably just go with two 295's instead of three. I feel like you won't see much practical difference.

4. Although cases are usually personal opinion, I might not get the one you picked out. It doesn't explicitly say it works with the larger motherboard you picked out. It also might be a tad cramped. Maybe go for a TJ07 or a lian-li of some sort.

5. Hope I've helped.

drop the v10 cooler and get the noctua d14 since you're staying on air
psu--personally never heard of it, but corsair 1000 is solid if you can get it over there
for graphics go for 2x ati 5870s.. dx11 support and until nvidia puts out their 300 line.. these are the top of the line (without being CAD cards!)
other than that.. pick up what atomic said about the case.. you want something with room.. though it might fit, but i dont know

and im on teh same boat.. ill take an unlimited budget, can i borrow your job for a year!

Thank you for your opinions :)
Atomic ferret - Yeah, I've heard elsewhere as well that the Corsair 1k is better, I've changed that out in my build now - thank you for that :)
Hmm.. Might be an idea! With the monitor. Any that you suggest on OCUK's site? I picked that one because it seemed to have a decent refresh rate and contrast ratio for the price/size.

With regards the case, yeah, I also changed that for the Corsair Obsidian - it seems like a good case but it's steel rather than alu, do you think this would make a big difference to the heat dissipation via the case?

Also with the 295, I agree, but I've chosen a different card also now (ATi 5970), thanks though!

Haha.. With regards the job... Three words: "We provide credit" :D. I'm actually a student at the moment but I'm graduating this year and have had some promising interviews with a couple of companies in Canada (moving from the UK; should be interesting) as a (junior/trainee) network manager so it shouldn't take too long to recoup, hopefully :D.

Psionic98 - Really? Why that cooler out of interest? Since the v10 is an air cooler too.
PSU - yeah, that's three recommendations for that one now, definitely changing that :). I can't find many reviews for the piperock in any case. Same with the graphics and case - I've also heard elsewhere that these aren't so good so I've changed them out for an Obsidian 800D case and two HD5970 cards.. Any opinions on these?

Thanks again for both of your opinions :)

That monitor you picked is supposed to very sharp with great color. I would love one for my self. The Corsair case is great for wire management. Want that too. For a HSF I would get a Prolimatech Megahalems. Its great at air cooling. Good luck with the new job!

Yeah, I heard that too - thank you for the advice :) And hmm, I'll look into the air cooler, thanks! And thank you - nothing is guaranteed yet but technically I'm earning enough from my P/T job here to pay off the installments on this thing, even if I have to put plans on the backburner for a year or so. I'm in no rush, whereas a new PC.. Well, my first and last "main" PC build was a P4 3.06HT, 2x512MB Corsair XMS 3200 @ 2-2-2-5 T1, Radeon 9700 Pro, Asus P4PE Mobo.. I don't even remember the other stuff. State of the art when I built it.. Like 6 or 7 years ago :D. The CPU alone cost like £500 and I had to drive to the only shop in my city that stocked it. Recently sold the whole rig for like £200 :(. But it had a good life.. Now it's time to try and learn all this new-fangled technology and get with the times, heh. (Current main rig? Sony Vaio BX51XP. Yeah. Not feeling the love.)

Definitely get the HD5970. You can only get 2 of them because it is a dual GPU solution.

This might sound a bit weird but I really don't see you needing the 975. I know this is a mega-high end build or whatever you say but you're not even on water! The 975 is practically the same as the 920 just overclocked and an unlocked multiplier. But hey, you can have bragging rights with the 975 so whatever makes you happy!

Have you considered 3 monitors?

Why one huge monitor? I use 3x24" panels and I can tell you, I will never ever go back to a single monitor on my main system. It's just way way too convenient to have a mess of screen real estate connected to your high end rig.

Yea and with 3 screens you can use the eyefinity features on the HD5970! Best gaming experience in the world :D

And i think you need 2.5" to 3.5" adapters for your SSDs as well.

Definitely get the HD5970. You can only get 2 of them because it is a dual GPU solution.

This might sound a bit weird but I really don't see you needing the 975. I know this is a mega-high end build or whatever you say but you're not even on water! The 975 is practically the same as the 920 just overclocked and an unlocked multiplier. But hey, you can have bragging rights with the 975 so whatever makes you happy!

Have you considered 3 monitors?

Yeah, I was thinking that - 2x5970. Had the bonus of being a little cheaper for actually better performance :D.

975.. Well, yeah, it's supposed to be a bit better for overclocking so 3 or 4 years down the road when it's starting to look a little sorry for itself I can get a performance boost for free / dirt cheap. But you're right, I'm not on water at the moment - I just don't have enough knowledge to risk screwing it up, and doesn't w/c supposedly take quite a lot of ongoing maintenance? Adding solution to the water to stop it corroding the pipes and such?

I might add w/c later on down the road though, the nice thing with that case as well is that it's big enough to allow this. Still, for the most part, with decent air and a decent airflow in the case I should be able to get a moderate-to-decent O/C with the 975 without water, surely?

3 monitors.. Well, I don't really have a big enough desk for that :D. Nor the need.. I tend to tray a lot of stuff out of the way and only tend to be using one screen at a time.. I just can't see how I would get use out of extra screens. What I would *really* like is a Brightside, but even I can't justify a $50,000 price tag :D.

e. From Wikipedia, Re: Brightside:
....with a contrast ratio technically of infinity,
Hell yes. :cool:
I'd so love to do the marketing for that thing, the smugness achievable would probably reach their contrast ratio.

Last edited:
Yes you can get a good OC with the 975 without water but you can get the exact same OC with the 920 as well. That's the thing.

atomic ferret said:
Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention. Swap that AS5 for MX3 or something a little higher end.
Really? o_O.. I always had the impression that AS is the best for TIM.. But then, my knowledge *is* like 7+ years out of date, haha.

TimoneX said:
Why one huge monitor? I use 3x24" panels and I can tell you, I will never ever go back to a single monitor on my main system. It's just way way too convenient to have a mess of screen real estate connected to your high end rig.

jgv115 said:
Yea and with 3 screens you can use the eyefinity features on the HD5970! Best gaming experience in the world

And i think you need 2.5" to 3.5" adapters for your SSDs as well.

Hmm.. Don't you get kinda.. confused, with so many screens? Maybe Vista/Win7 can deal with them better? I hated how XP just adds a longer bit of taskbar, and you never get the feeling that the screens are seamless.. Or maybe it just takes some adjusting too?

Also, jgv, it actually lets you use the extra screens for gaming? I always found that it would just show up on one screen and leave the other "at the desktop". But then, that's XP, and I have no idea about eyefinity, other than seeing it on the product description. *Trots off to Wikipedia*

Ohh, really? I just assumed that they'd be 3.5" as they're desktop drives, but you're right - 2.5". Thanks for that! I assume both physical adaptors (so they can fit in the case) and connector adaptors (so the cables can fit)? Or is SATA the same regardless? Sorry, I'm a bit clueless.. As I say, I'm more familiar with IDE, where obviously they use different connectors.

jgv115 said:
Yes you can get a good OC with the 975 without water but you can get the exact same OC with the 920 as well. That's the thing.
I guess so :). I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

Yes physical adapters. I actually don't know why they call it an adapter but oh well.

Eyefinity lets you get the 3 screens and make them "fuze together" so you have 1 massive screen. Then it allows you to use this massive screen for gaming which is completely mad!

Yes physical adapters. I actually don't know why they call it an adapter but oh well.

Eyefinity lets you get the 3 screens and make them "fuze together" so you have 1 massive screen. Then it allows you to use this massive screen for gaming which is completely mad!

Hmm.. Not having much luck finding 2.5" to 3.5" adapters, do you have a link for this? I'm guessing it would need some kind of.. SATA to Mini-SATA adapter for the plugs too? *is guessing*

I've just been reading, that is very cool! Oddly enough there isn't a wiki about it, though thankfully the creator's site has something to say.

It's a good idea, I dunno how much I'd use it outside of gaming though. But luckily my monitor does indeed have a displayport connector so it would be possible to put three of those babies together.. Though I think the depiction on ATI's site is a bit misleading of the monitors literally "joined together" as if they were one monitor.. Or is there some kind of add-on that allows this? I'm assuming the three monitors would actually stand separately on their own stands with a gap inbetween, in reality?

Just another quick Q - is the SSD fragmentation / slowdown-when-filled-up problem still valid? Especially for the X25-E, obviously if I get this drive we're still only looking at 128GB (2x64GB in RAID 0) - that's likely to get filled up pretty quickly.. and from what I've read, you can't even defrag it :S. Which is pretty crappy, you know, for a drive that costs ~£600. Each.

On the other hand.. Two of these:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-005-IN
Gives 320GB storage and it's still an Intel drive, which I've heard are very good - M or E series. And it's half the cost.
e. Oh, wait.. 100mb/s slower than the E series for write :/. I guess there is a reason for the double cost for like 1/3 of the capacity, haha..

e2. Or.. I can get 512MB of SSD, albeit MLC and not an Intel drive, for slightly less than 128GB of Intel's SLC option..
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-010-KS&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=

I wonder if the Intel tag / SLC is still worth it's premium... Especially when you take into account the speed at which the drive is likely to fill. Any opinions out there?

Last edited:
Erk, I just googled TRIM, it seems pretty important..
Do you think it'd be better to forgo TRIM and RAID 0 two X25-Es, get one slower-write X25-M, Get two X25-Ms in RAID 0, or just go for the 512GB non-Intel one?

Really? o_O.. I always had the impression that AS is the best for TIM.. But then, my knowledge *is* like 7+ years out of date, haha.

It used to be king, but not anymore. If you look at more recent comparisons, there are many better options out there.

Back