• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Completed build! Fractal Design Core 500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torgian

Registered
Gods, this thing took me forever to build. This was my first mini-itx build, took me two days to complete. Now I'm sitting here doing a bit of programming while Fallout 4 downloads xD

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/svr7YJ

The biggest challenge was the cpu cooler and cable management. The cooler I got was an H80i GT... not my first choice, but the one I wanted (which was smaller) was out of stock, and they offered this one to me at a good price. So I grabbed it.

This was also my first attempt at sleeving cables. I couldn't find any parachute cord where I live (currently Taiwan) so I got some other stuff instead. Kinda like the outcome, even though nobody will see it xD

Check out the build log!

Haha sleeving in an ITX, closed case ;) :D

Great build, man. I just put together the build in my sig in a Node 304, so very similar. I like it a lot. I had an H80i in there at first, but swapped it out for a nice air cooler instead. No fan profiles required to keep the noise down.

That and a 6600K are the only things I would change from yours. Nice job :thup:

EDIT: I'm curious, how is the airflow set up in your build? Is that intake on the top and the AIO is exhausting? I'd probably swap those, if so, that way you're getting cool air in through the rad and everything hot goes up.

Haha sleeving in an ITX, closed case ;) :D

EDIT: I'm curious, how is the airflow set up in your build? Is that intake on the top and the AIO is exhausting? I'd probably swap those, if so, that way you're getting cool air in through the rad and everything hot goes up.

I set it up actually so that the air flows out as exhaust with the CPU cooler, out the back. Into the case from the top with the included fan; basically swapped the positions.

The temps right now are actually pretty good. I just recently installed Fallout 4 and played it in Ultra settings. Card was at about 64 degrees, system at 40-ish, CPU around 35.

Really, the main reason I did this fan set up is because the intake filter is on the top of the case. They don't have one for the rear.

That makes sense. Definitely want to make use of the filter :thup:

So updated, after playing fallout 4 for a couple hours, I checked temps.

Video card is the hottest, which kinda makes sense considering how small the case is. 79 degrees.Not sure what I could do to make it cooler. It's a turbo model type, so it spits the hot air out the back of the case, not inside it. System temp hangs around 37 on average, and cpu temp around 27 degrees. This is all while playing fallout.

Back