• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer boots for 3 seconds only to shut down. Help plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simba1621

After 1year of solid performance from my most recent build it decides to start giving me crap. When I boot the fans spin and the harddrives spool only for 3-5 seconds. Then shuts down.
Initially I thought it might be the case shorting something. So I rebuilt the computer on a piece of cardboard. No luck. Then tried using a paper clip to ground the + - and boot. No luck there either.
I've checked everyhing that I can think of. Reset the CMOS. Reseated ram, CPU. Is my mobo dead? It's not booting fast enough to let me see the bios. Using my infared temp gauge gives me normal temps. Tried 3 differnt powersupplies.

Asus m2n-e w/ 4gb pc26400 and an amd 5600+ at stock speeds

Recently installed windows7 64 home and added 2 gb ram. About a month ago without fault until now

Sounds like your computer is failing POST (assuming it isnt getting to OS at all). If it is failing Power On Self-Test (POST) then, one likely canidate is your RAM. Try varying combos on your RAM sticks, pulling one, then swapping it for the other as well as attempt different slots.

If you can manage to get even live-CDs to boot, then you have an issue with your primary OS.

Just tried all different sticks in all 4 slots. Still no post. Really hoping that this has a simple cheap fix, though I think it won't be :(

Power Supply under powered or bad.

any time i have seen a system, fans turn on then off, it is the power supply.

Power Supply under powered or bad.

any time i have seen a system, fans turn on then off, it is the power supply.

+1 Have you tried jumping the green and black pins on your PSU and check it with a DMM? Another way to find out, is if you have another PSU to test with. That is the #1 reason I keep a spare and a DMM around.

Have you overclocked your pc at all? One problem that causes me to not post is when i overclock my cmos gets screwed up if i have bad settings. If so you can clear the cmos with a jumper or remove the battery for 20 min. Even if you have not overclocked its worth to try because then you know that you are at stock settings.

Have you overclocked your pc at all? One problem that causes me to not post is when i overclock my cmos gets screwed up if i have bad settings. If so you can clear the cmos with a jumper or remove the battery for 20 min. Even if you have not overclocked its worth to try because then you know that you are at stock settings.

original post says he has reset his CMOS...

Additionally, since you have determined either all of your RAM is toast, or none, look into what a POST checks for. It should (used to) check for functioning Video, and keyboard, among other things. Look into those, and if possible, eliminate them as options (IE- Video card memory, swap with a spare if you have one, just to see if it will boot up). IIRC, POST also checks your CPU, so if you have a compatible older CPU laying about (I have 2 spare AM2s personally) then try popping one of them in.

+1 Have you tried jumping the green and black pins on your PSU and check it with a DMM? Another way to find out, is if you have another PSU to test with. That is the #1 reason I keep a spare and a DMM around.

Try the jumper to be sure the PS is still working.
Then disconnect everything - hdd, CD drives, memory out too.
It should BEEP with no memory upon post.

Will the mobo POST with nothing attached?

Yes -> install HDD, then reboot installing one piece at a time.
No-> replace mobo

:salute:

thanks for all the help guys!

my brother had given me the idea that the cmos battery might have been dead. i dont own a voltmeter and it was cheap at radioshack, so i bought one. at this point it posted with 1 set of ram but no the other.

so now that i can use my computer to a point, ive never seen this on any forum or anything. is it common for a cmos battery to die? and would that in any way hinder posting?

again thanks for the help. this is why i keep coming back to ocforums <3

cmos batteries can die eventualy, you ca easily take it out and hit a watch store to get a new one.

but if it will onyl post with 1 stick of ram, it is something else that is the problem

did you try each individual stick of ram to see if it boots with each one.

thanks for all the help guys!

my brother had given me the idea that the cmos battery might have been dead. i dont own a voltmeter and it was cheap at radioshack, so i bought one. at this point it posted with 1 set of ram but no the other.

so now that i can use my computer to a point, ive never seen this on any forum or anything. is it common for a cmos battery to die? and would that in any way hinder posting?

again thanks for the help. this is why i keep coming back to ocforums <3
Batteries die but they seldom corrupt the CMOS on the way out. It could be you HAD a short, which scrabbled the CMOS and killed the battery - but was "fixed" when you took it out of the case ... :shrug:

Wait, I thought CMOS battery only makes sure you retain BIOS settings when your computer has no power.

Does having a dead CMOS battery influence anything if the computer is connected to the wall socket at all times?

Does having a dead CMOS battery influence anything if the computer is connected to the wall socket at all times?
I think that depends a lot on the PSU and/or motherboard. I've seen some PSUs that don't deliver any power at all when they're off, while others (especially more modern ones) deliver a trickle. The board also complicates things. On one of my boards if I turn off the PSU and turn it back on the board won't see it until the board has been turned on. But if the board turns the PSU off then it still gets power (unless the PSU switch is turned off then on again). :shrug: Go figure.

And I don't even want to go into all the "stuff" with switch-less PSUs. Those things are just a pain all the way 'round, as fair as I'm concerned. Why they ever made them I'll never know - they couldn't be saving THAT much by leaving the power switch out ... :-/

Hello. I am having the exact same problem as Simba. Except I have an Intel processor Core i7 950 OC'ed to 4.0Ghz. Should I "chance it" by removing the battery and resetting my CMOS *before* I buy a new PSU? Or is the PSU most likely the culprit of the problem? This PC has been running just fine for over a year now, but I did replace the PSU last August. It is a Corsair TX650. Thinking of buying an Antec Earthwatt EA750 at Frys tomorrow.

Your PSU may not be the problem. You overclock may be unstable. Why don't you try resetting everything to stock speeds?

Back