• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer boots for 3 seconds only to shut down. Help plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
NO! The cmos battery used in PC's are NOT rechargable, when the PC is on, the battery is bypassed, and when main power is turned off the battery is switched in.
Now back when 286, 386, 486 PC's were around some PC makers did used nicad batteries. That was about 20-25 years ago :)

Yes, but even rechargeable batteries die eventually. CMOS batteries usually last 4-5 years, more or less. I've seen some die in three and others last well past five ...

Your PSU may not be the problem. You overclock may be unstable. Why don't you try resetting everything to stock speeds?

Hi guys. Got it sorted today. The problem is, the wire from my PC case's front power button has a short. Only way to turn it on and keep it on, is to stick a small screwdriver to where it makes contact with power connector pins. Once the screwdriver head makes contact the PC will power on and stay on, hooray!

Unfortunately So it looks like I'm looking at another PC case :( Even went and wasted money buying a new power supply from the store today...all for nothing :( Do you guys suggest I keep this new power supply and keep the old one as a back up? The current I just bought is an Antec Earthwatts 750 watts PSU and the old one is a Corsair TX650 Watts PSU. Which one is more durable/reliable in your opinion?

On another interesting side note, I actually removed the CMOS battery this morning and left it out for 30 minutes then popped it back in. When we finally figured out the problem and I managed to get windows up and running, it had reverted my CPU clock speed back to the default 3.1Ghz. However, once I entered the bios and went into the M.I.T. menu, I then simply exited and saved. Upon doing this, the machine for some strange reason reverted my CPU back to its overclocked 4.0Ghz frequency.

Very strange....I thought if you remove the battery it will reset the CMOS and all the settings on your mobo including your cpu frequency?

If you post that question in the power supply section of this forum, I would be surprised if they told that Antec purchase was necessary at all since Corsair TX650 is a solid power supply more powerful than most so called 650W and above PSUs.

If you disconnect the power and take your battery out for 5 seconds, your machine will revert to default and should not go back unless you restored previous settings inside BIOS capable of saving previously saved settings inside its profile section.

Back