• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Build Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skirikidik

Hey everyone-

I'm just seeking some general advice. I bought a CyberPower pre-built PC in 2011. So far it has served me well but it is now time I upgrade. I know a little about computers and the like (beginner/intermediate, depending on what is being discussed) and will be learning more. Before I go any further, here are the relevant parts of my build (don't have exact product names for all of them, but shouldn't be necessary for what I'm asking):

-Coolermaster HAF-X full tower case, w/ 1 140mm rear corsair fan, 1 top 200mm coolermaster fan , 1 side 200mm coolermaster fan, and 1 230mm front coolermaster fan (all fans except corsair original to PC)
-Intel i7 sandybridge quad core, ~3.3 ghz (overclocked somewhat, I believe)
-ASUS PCIe 3.0 motherboard
-8gb of corsair DDR3 (can't recall clock speed)
-850w Coolermaster Silentpro PSU
-NVIDIA Geforce 570, 1.5 gb memory
-new aftermarket Zalman heatsink

If more specific product information is needed, I can provide it as needed (not on my rig).

I plan on purchasing an MSI Geforce GTX 970. I shouldn't have space issues, have PCIe 3.0, and am fairly certain my PSU can handle the power efficient (at least relative to the 570) gtx 970. So, i don't foresee any issues there (please speak up if my logic is flawed!).

My main question is: Other than the graphics card, are there any other components of my computer anyone would recommend updating sooner rather than later? For example, would it be a good idea to replace the old coolermaster fans or is that pretty much a run until done sort of deal? Or should I replace the PSU due to its age? etc etc

Thanks!

Outside of the GPU, I would say that its serviceable until at least broadwell releases (end of 2q 2015) if not Skylake around (nothing in stone yet) the end of this year.

PSU is plenty of power.

Just the GPU will give you a nice upgrade.
FYI, Sandy Bridge only runs PCIe 2.0.

What do you use your computer for?
Other than the GPU, the only thing that you would really notice is an SSD.
It would involve reinstalling windows though.

I can't justify an upgrade from Sandy at this moment..... maybe Skylake will be the time.

Back