• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer fan question (debate)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joshhua5

A question came across me the other day and got me thinking, what if the conventional plastic used for fan blades was abandoned and carbon fiber taking the place. since it’s lightweight and thinner, couldn’t that have positive effects on vibration and drag not to mention the ability to spin faster. Let’s have a debate. (Cost shouldn’t be a factor since it obviously wouldn’t be for the general user)

I don't think the physical properties of carbon fiber are such as you may think they are.

The cool thing about carbon fiber compared to regular old plastic, as far as I am aware, is that carbon fiber is stronger. In regards to weight, it is going to be a nominal difference.

Kinda like having pure silver or diamonds in thermal paste... Does it make better paste, maybe, but other things are more important. Like does the suspension retain its properties over time without drying out to dust or otherwise breaking down. And expense. Carbon fiber fans could probably sell, just because they are carbon fiber, but they would have a hard time delivering greater value.

With the fan sizes we use in computer cases, I don't think that the plastics they use are a big impediment as far as thickness goes. And no matter how thin or light you make them, the faster you spin them the more noise they are going to make. That is just plain physics there. The closer to the speed of sound the tips get, the more compressibility plays into making noise. You can delay the compressibility problem through various means (airfoil shape, pitch etc), but you will eventually run into it. And don't even think you will design a blade that can operate at supersonic velocities on any part of the rotor; it's been tried before with varying degrees of success. There is one aircraft I know of that actually has props that operate in the supersonic realm, the TU-95 Bear and it's derivatives. But you won't want any part of those designs in your computer as the noise would be outrageous.

If the material was lighter, i was thinking it could achieve a sharper point on the blade, allowing it to cut though the air more efficiently. maybe even having blades on the tips of the fan for the ultimate sharp edge (but then a fan grill would be compulsory)

For moving air like ordinary fan, don't think there are enough strong points to warrant the replacement of current plastic impeller, the main reason is obvious, balancing the carbon fiber blades will be a lot harder compared to injection molding technique at plastic blades/impeller.

With current matured plastic injection technology, an evenly distributed mass and seamless spreaded material is the key for a good impeller that will make a good fan.

No matter how advanced the bearing technology is used, it will be useless if the impeller itself is difficult to balance.

The only technical advantage that I could think of using carbon fiber impeller is only lighter blades (not very sure though), hence lesser power consumption, but I don't think fan power consumption is a major issue right now, don't you agree ?

While the stiffer or tougher nature of carbon fibre over plastic is not an advantage point for ordinary computer fan blade cause they're just slicing air. The only possibilities are only on big fan that can be as big as the pc case, cause these big fan needs a stiff material.

While for smoother surface, fiber construction is not very convincing vs plastic, plastic can be shaped/made into very smooth glass like surface easily to minimize drag.

I know you mentioned to exclude the cost discussion, now, just try to imagine the 'extra' cost in manufacturing the carbon fiber vs plastic impeller, its just doesn't add up and doesn't make any sense from economic point of view.

Maybe it will be useful for ship/boat impeller, definitely the impeller will sustained heavier stress in the water, but that is probably at another argument/debate against the cheap and light "metal" impeller.

Last edited:
I suspect carbon fibre would be worse from a noise point of view. I've seen the occasional speaker cone made from it.

The only technical advantage that I could think of using carbon fiber impeller is only lighter blades (not very sure though), hence lesser power consumption, but I don't think fan power consumption is a major issue right now, don't you agree ?

While the stiffer or tougher nature of carbon fibre over plastic is not an advantage point for ordinary computer fan blade cause they're just slicing air. The only possibilities are only on big fan that can be as big as the pc case, cause these big fan needs a stiff material.

I can see this being a bad thing. What do you think would happen if you put your fingers in a thinner, lighter and harder fan blade? I think you might lose something.

Likewise, the only advantage in a lighter weight that I can see is the fan could spin up that little bit faster, hence requiring a lower start up voltage. On the other hand the actual lack of weight would mean that the fan blades would stop spinning almost as soon as power to the fan motor is cut. Not necessarily a good thing.

Being a lighter fan, it would have less momentum(Force = Mass x Speed), so with a sharper design and less force behind the slice, the effect would be questionable, what ever one outweighs the other to the cutting ability.

Speaker cones have also been made from metal and plastic. I thought it was just a stiff material so the sound comes off cleanly, with warping of the cone there would be distortion in the sound...just a assumption. I agree that they will slow down faster.

I was also thinking about silicon rubber and fiber glass.

In this situation i think Carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer would be most appropriate.

Last edited:
Being a lighter fan, it would have less momentum(Force = Mass x Speed), so with a sharper design and less force behind the slice, the effect would be questionable, what ever one outweighs the other to the cutting ability.

Speaker cones have also been made from metal and plastic. I thought it was just a stiff material so the sound comes off cleanly, with warping of the cone there would be distortion in the sound...just a assumption. I agree that they will slow down faster.

I was also thinking about silicon rubber and fiber glass.

Meh. I want to say F=MV, where V is velocity, but I can't remember enough. Mainly because velocity is displacement, whereas speed is movement total.

A bit of googling turns out he may actually be correct, talking in terms of momentum (Momentum = MxS). But then, I don't know how much one should trust Yahoo Answers xD.

Edit: I'm going to stop going off topic now, and just say I'm 99% sure the yahoo answers page was bull**** :p.

Last edited:
I was just thinking that, if a car is moving at 4ms-1 without accelerating, how does it not have momentum?

Don't worry, i see what it did there ;D either way, so F = mv would be like potential momentum and F=ma would be what's currently in effect.

Last edited:
If a car is moving at a completely constant rate - say, 5m/s, it's got velocity and mass. Say it weighs 5000kg. So F = MV, M = 5000kg, V = 5 m/s. F = 25000 newtons. The newton is a kilogram meter per second squared (kg m/s^2), however. Units here don't check out.

Acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity. Since the velocity is 5m/s and completely constant, it doesn't have an acceleration. A = 0.

After some wikipedia searching, it seems p = mv. That is, momentum = mass times velocity.

Last edited:
Back