• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer fan won't spin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palmerrulzah

Registered
Hey guys,

I managed to salvage this fan out of an old dell computer.
http://www.ecrater.com.au/p/6002142/genu…

I Have a Gigabyte GA-H67MA Mobo

The fan itself is a three pin plug and my motherboard only has a 4 pin fan input. When i plug the fan into the input it spins slowly for 2 seconds, stops then continues that same cycle?
Is there something wrong with the fan, or am I not plugging it in correctly.

Please don't bump your threads so frequently. It is early in the morning and there are not a lot of members logged in.

Nah, we generally hibernate for a few thousand years. I'm quite well rested. :D

Check BIOS settings and see what your fan's are set to... usually under a hardware monitoring tab, but I'm not 100% sure on your board...

In my BIOS, I can set threshold levels to keep the fans quieter, however, I just set them all to full... do the same and see if it spins up.

PS - I actually just installed a 3 pin fan in a 4 pin slot on my mobo, there was a ridge that would only really allow it to be installed one way, check to see if you have a little plastic piece sticking up on the 4 pin fan port...

Nah, we generally hibernate for a few thousand years. I'm quite well rested. :D

Lol

Hey guys,

I managed to salvage this fan out of an old dell computer.
http://www.ecrater.com.au/p/6002142/genu…

I Have a Gigabyte GA-H67MA Mobo

The fan itself is a three pin plug and my motherboard only has a 4 pin fan input. When i plug the fan into the input it spins slowly for 2 seconds, stops then continues that same cycle?
Is there something wrong with the fan, or am I not plugging it in correctly.

Almost sounds as though its not getting enough power. See if you can adjust the fan performance profile in the BIOS. GO POWAH!

If that doesn't work, see if the fan spins freely if you move the blades with your fingers. If there's resistance, the bearing in the fan may be shot.

I left the fan plugged in for an hour, now it's spinning at full force by itself :\

Back