• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Power On Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cold.nut

Sunday I took out my components listed in my sig and removed the HF off of the CPU. I wanted to see if the stock cooler would do better than the other I bought. So I took everything out, cleaned it, did quite a bit of wire management put it back together and when I powered it on... No Fan lights came on, no boot up at all!

The mobo light is on when I put power to it, but the computer doesn't power on! The only thing I can think that would cause this is the fact that I didn't use a Wrist-a-Stat while handling the cpu/mobo, I haven't in the past because I can't find mine so I didn't think it would matter much. The only other thing I can think it may be is the power-wire soldered to the chassis may be pooped out, because when I removed the front cover to install a fan to the front of the case, it kinda fell forward, I didn't see any damage or harm though, it was just a small slip.

Here are some pics though

Help would be nice!
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2957.JPG
    IMG_2957.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2954.JPG
    IMG_2954.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2949.JPG
    IMG_2949.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 136
^ yeah try shorting the two power pins with a screw driver, this will make sure its not the case

Then to eliminate the possbility of it being the psu, disconnect all the connectors and jump start it (connect the green wire to any of the black wires on the 24 pin connector )http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-power-supply-psu.html
if it does not power in you have a bad psu,

if the psu works, then plug it all back in EXCEPT the motherboard conenctors, if it does not power on, then you know that one of the things connected to your psu have some sort of electrical fault, such as being grounded to the case, or touching wires, for example faulty fan controller can case the psu not to start because of short circuit protection

if it STILL works, then you know the problem is with the motherboard, in this case check that you have not dropped a screw anywhere, or got thermal paste somewhere you shouldnt.

I am not familiar with starting my mobo without the power button, could someone assist me in this?

I am looking into the asus website to see if I can find any answers also.

Thanks for the help guys

The power button (or ANY switch for that matter) just connects two contacts to make a closed circuit. What we're suggesting is to by-pass the switch and "connect" those two pins together with a screwdriver, paper-clip, or whatever instead of using the switch. All you have to do it make electrical contact (metallic object) across the two pins the power switch plugs into on the motherboard.

If you have trouble finding the right pins just follow the power switch wires back to the motherboard - but there should be a diagram in your manual showing where the power switch, reset switch, speaker, etc., all plug into the board ...

I have found that the PSU is still in business

I jumped the motherboard powered on the psu and nothing happened, which makes me believe either I gave a zap to the cpu during re-installation or the mobo went to poop!

:bang head lolz dangit!

If you were cleaning it anything could have happened, including something as simple as a short from excess dust. Take the board out of the case and try it there. If it still doesn't work then check all your slots (PCIe, PCI, & RAM) for foreign objects.

If that doesn't work start checking plugs & sockets for damage. I've been playing with computers for years, I very seldom do anything special when I'm working on them (wrist strap? What's a wrist strap??? ;) - but I do keep the case grounded since we have carpet), and I've never fried a component yet from static. I've had lightning strikes get me, I recently had a case fan go out, which ended up frying something else inside, and I've had physical shock (a 6' drop) kill an old video card but it's never been because of static ...

I figured out the problem :) yay :)

What happened was the graphics power connectors look just like the 4-pin connector on my psu so I got them mixed up. Simple mistake and it has happened before.

+1 though, I learned a awesome way on how to test your PSU if it is defective or not!

Thanks everyone, glad to be back!
:beer:

Back