• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Computer powers on by itself.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RubyBeats

Registered
Title says it all doesn't it, my computer powers on by itself.
I was cleaning up my room and all of a sudden my PC turned on :shock:
This is not the first time yesterday i had the same issue and i thought i fixed by disabeling the wake on lan setting but apparently it didn't work :(
What sould i do ?!?!?

Last edited:
Power on by mouse or keyboard active in bios?

Maybe those mains spikes that plague your mains?

Could be your computer creating the ground fault.

Or coke B. Poltergeists :rofl:

Check the Event Viewer (assuming Windows OS) and see if it tells you what woke it up. If nothing becomes apparent with a cursory inspection , I would make sure my AV was updated and run a thorough scan.

do you have a timer set in the BIOS?

N0pe

Power on by mouse or keyboard active in bios?

Maybe those mains spikes that plague your mains?

Could be your computer creating the ground fault.

Or coke B. Poltergeists :rofl:

Power on by mouse or keyboard is disabled.
Dun Dun Duuuuuun

Check the Event Viewer (assuming Windows OS) and see if it tells you what woke it up. If nothing becomes apparent with a cursory inspection , I would make sure my AV was updated and run a thorough scan.

The operating system started at system time :blah:
After that just normal services booting....

Did a full system scan with Malwarebytes Premium Comodo Avast Adwcleaner HitmanPRO Junkware removal tool Eset online scanner and Super Anti Spyware no virus or malware detected.

i was going to suggest looking at the AC back option thinking maybe you had a bad AC cord or something, but obviously you have it disabled.

googling your issue i came across this thread.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/327341-30-computer-powers-itself-bios-setting-p8z77

it's from 2012 and a little long, but seems like OP had some luck enabling the ErP function for whatever reason.

good luck.

That sounds like a good idea if ErP is enabled the motherboard allows itself to fully powerdown so it excludes all the hardware with boot settings gonna try it, thanks :)

Sounds like Wake-on-LAN.

Yes that was also my first thought so the first thing i was looking for was a WOL setting in my BIOS turns out that my BIOS doesn't have one at all. So the only thing i could do was to disable WOL in Windows itself but that didn't work.

Last edited:
Yes that was also my first thought so the first thing i was looking for was a WOL setting in my BIOS turns out that my BIOS doesn't have one at all. So the only thing i could do was to disable WOL in Windows itself but that didn't work.

it's got to have a WOL setting in the BIOS somewhere.

Did you try to remove the CMOS battery to reset the motherboard? To do that, de-power the motherboard by removing the power cables going into it and then remove the battery and leave the motherboard without it for about ten minutes. Reinsert the battery and the power cables into the motherboard.

it's got to have a WOL setting in the BIOS somewhere.

No it doesn't :cry:

Did you try to remove the CMOS battery to reset the motherboard? To do that, de-power the motherboard by removing the power cables going into it and then remove the battery and leave the motherboard without it for about ten minutes. Reinsert the battery and the power cables into the motherboard.

Yes i know how to do it, and no it didn't work either.

Ordered a Belkin Surgemaster

So problem solved. (unless my pc can turn on a physical switch :p good luck with that :D)

Last edited:
Was going to suggest turning off and just unplug the ethernet cord and see if it powers in again

I don't know, but it would at least help narrow down what is causing it

Back