• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Room Exhaust

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feyrband

So my brother is moving into my house and we decided to turn the 3rd bedroom into a dedicated computer room. It's a pretty small room, about 120sq ft and needless to say it gets really hot in there with our PCs running. We are building desk along the length of what is an exterior wall, and I am thinking we can sit both computers beside each other, and put an outdoor exhaust fan in.

We both have positive air flow cases, each with 1 scythe 140mm (92 cfm) exhaust fan + the cpu coolers (1 ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm & 1 Noctua NH-U12P). Then each has 1 gfx card and obviously the psu. I can enclose the rear of the cases together (leaving room between them for side intake), or leave the back of them open, whichever would be more efficient.

I plan on using a small house fan (has to fit between studs) and creating a duct (probably out of insulation board and silicon) to send the air outside. I'm wondering how much CFM I should be shooting for to suck all this air out and through a weather inhibiting vent.

current ideas:

Vornado Fan

+

12x12 Vent

just looking for a little input. whether it's better fan, vent or any ideas at all to help out. i have extra psu connections and i could run a 200mm fan or 2 instead of a small box fan if i can get the cfm necessary out of them to go out through a vent. also trying to keep the cost down where possible, not a deal-breaker but <$100 is ideal.

I'm not a professional when it comes to home improvement, but I think you should purchase a fan that is made for the job and has the proper pressure to be able to handle what you are doing. Buying a cheap house fan to put in a wall sounds like a bad idea.

well there really isn't a fan for this job or i'd save myself the headache lol. there are attic fans which are major overkill, then there are bathroom fans which are fairly low cfm and generally expensive.

I'd recommend a squirrel cage style fan.

A lot more airflow, though it's a bit noisier. It will likely do a better job than a desk fan or box-fan.

Last edited:
what i did at my old house was take a dryer duct put a 92mm fan in it hooked it up to a 12v power supply and put it on the exhaust of my two 4870's it cooled down the room alot, them damn cards used a ton of power lol, could just put that on the exhaust of your pc and put a dryer vent (the ones with a flap) on the outside so when the pc's arent on it will keep cold\hot air out

If you want to go really cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896615092
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896615034
or you could look for fans on craigslist or at garage sales. you can just break off the stands and just have the fan shield left.

You can either take the power switch/fan controller part off and wire it down the wall so you can have easy access since I'm assuming you would be putting the fans up high. Or just leave them on and just run down the power cord unplug when not needed.

hope this helps

Back