• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer shuts off in games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Is the fast-write for the 9800 pro on? If it is turned on then it could be a problem. Also try testing your memory with memtest86+. Lastly did you install the latest chipset drivers from intel website? The asus motheboard chipset drivers are not always up to date.

Hey guys, I have a visiontek Xtasy 9500pro in my comp, and when I play Call of Duty, and BF1942, i get the same kinda system hangs, except my screen shows all kinds of weird colours and pixels and stuff beforehand for about 2 seconds. Windows keeps telling me that I have "Device driver issues" so could I be having a problem like this? I have reinstalled my drivers several times so maybe the "remnants" are my problem.

Any comments would be sweet!

Floataris said:
Hey guys, I have a visiontek Xtasy 9500pro in my comp, and when I play Call of Duty, and BF1942, i get the same kinda system hangs, except my screen shows all kinds of weird colours and pixels and stuff beforehand for about 2 seconds. Windows keeps telling me that I have "Device driver issues" so could I be having a problem like this? I have reinstalled my drivers several times so maybe the "remnants" are my problem.

Any comments would be sweet!

Did you do any cooling mods to your video card (change heatsink, etc.)? Is your card overclocked?

Matt

mdcomp said:

Did you do any cooling mods to your video card (change heatsink, etc.)? Is your card overclocked?

Matt

Nope, everything is stock cooling on it, no OC's of any kind at all. I think cooling is adaquate in my comp, It's probably a driver issue. I have all of the latest updates for my mobo and 865P chipset, I'm currently trying the remnants removal process. I'll keep you guys posted.

im lucky i just won a 5900xt from bfg so i can try differnt vid cards if i buy another mb in the future.it just came a little to late as i rma my p4p800 last week and got sis 655 asus mb and now i have no issues at all.ea games act's weird with certain hardware.

how about check for all the caps near the cpu for leak? if you can see some kind of fluid on the cap, that mean your cap is dead, this will cause restart during heavy load. and check for the NB heatsink too.

whenever changing a video card, esp. between two different brands (ati to nvidia or visa versa) you should reformat. i dont trust those driver cleaners, they dont work, stuff remains behind and can cause problems. when you get windows installed install the chipset drivers first...then install vid card driver and get your net working and update windows. after windows is all updated install and/or update any other drivers.

other than that, make sure everything is installed right, make sure the mobo isnt touching the bottom of the case, things like that. i had this happen to me when i played cod single player on my rig. i would play, then a random reboot, then again....this was before i replaced the stock heatsink on the vid card. what i had to do was turn my fans all the way up....now that i have a arctic cooling vga silencer, i have had no problems with overheating.

what PSU u have
maybe u have bad psu who hasn't have constat volt values
and thats cosing the system crush

OK i am totally confused and don't know whats wrong and don't even know what to try and fix. I thought I had it fixed with replaceing my video card but it turns out it just took longer to crash. So then i replaced my sound card (I was using on board now i am using soundblaster live 5.1) and thought that fixed it but it just took even longer to crash almost 2-3 hours of playing BF Vietnam. I am almost to the point of buying a new motherboard and cpu

post your rig in your signature and also post what temps you are getting on the cpu and case using asusprobe. It could be a heat issue or possibly to high of an o/c.

my original post:

I have an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and every time I go to play Lineage II beta my computer will not stay on for more than 30 mins. I have tried using an ATI Radeon 9600 pro currently using 9800 pro. I have tried 3 types of ram Corsair TWINX 2700 1GB Kingston HyperX 2700 512MB and currently using Kingston Value Ram 3200 dual channel mode. I have tried each stick by its self and together with its paired stick. I have tried an antec 350w power supply and a 400w power supply. I have switched heatsinks and thermal compound. When I run burn in with Sandra my computer is completely stable. I have talked with Intel and ASUS and niether knows what is wrong and i don't either. Any ideas?

I now have:
msi gf4 4200
Corsair TWINX 2700 1GB
P4 3ghz no overclock
ASUS P4C800-E
SB Live 5.1
Western Digital raptor 10,000rpm
using on board lan

My computer still will not run games without reseting after playing for awhile

did you make sure to get rid of any remnants of past/old video drivers. It doesnt sound like a mobo issue to me. It sounds software related. How old is this mobo or what revision is it? Also, how old are the vid cards? Ive heard of an issue between the chipset and the older ati 9800 cards.

You haven't given comment or mentioned trying hardly anything suggested yet... It's impossible to help when you don't try anything we say to troubleshoot your problem. I don't know. If theres anything previously mentioned that you have not tried becaues you don't understand just ask and someone will walk you through it.

IMOG i have tried everything that was suggested maybe i did not say so because most of it i had already tried before it was suggested. I have reinstalled the drivers many times like you suggested and yes i have tried it from a fresh install of windows as i said in a previous post on 2 different hard drives i have tried fresh install for both the ati and nvidia cards with no luck. the only thing i can think of that i have not tried is cooling the north bridge which i don't think is the problem and it is not a problem with the beta game as you suggested beause this also happens in halo and bf vietnam.

my mb is rev 1.02 the video card is maybe 2-3 years old the ati cards were both new i don't think this is a video card problem asus thinks its a cpu problem and intel thinks its a motherboard problem

Last edited:
Ok..its not a video card issue since you have tried diff cards and diff brands. Its not a ram issue cuz youve tried diff ram. Its not software cuz youve tried it on a fresh install. So that leaves mobo or cpu. Do you have a cpu that you can use? If so then if it doesnt happen with the new cpu than you know what it is. Im starting to get the feeling it could be a mobo issue. :rolleyes: just is kinda weird if you run burn in it does fine.If you run games it crashes.

exactly its very wierd i have put in a different cpu once but not for more than like an hour i might try that again

ya i would try a diff cpu and run whateva game for a few hours and if it doesnt crash well then you know you that your chip is bunk and to send that sh1z back to where you got it from. :p hard to beleive you got a pos 3ghtz cpu. :eek:

Back