• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer state when not in use.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Do you...

1. keep always on
  2. sleep
  3. hibernate
  4. turn off

My preference is sleeper. Never liked running it always on.

Last edited:
Off when im done for the day..otherwise it is on.

Sleep and hibernate can have issues and with an ssd or pcie ssd, boot times are less than 30s. I prefer a fresh start. ;)

. I have a crucial SSD m4 if I remember correctly on sata2. Takes 4 bar runs to boot into Vista. What really kills it is bios post screen, where I have gtx460 message, then bios screen, hit delete and then after that loading begins. Sleep definitely gets me inside faster.

I use nvme and sata ssds, all multi boot systems, I power them all off when I'm done with them.
as earthdog stated, sleep and hibernate can have issues.
in power options I do have them turn off the monitors after 5 minutes.
my rendering rig runs wide open, 24/7 unless it's down for hardware changes or repairs.
the others I power off when not in use.

I don't own a "conouter" I don't think. What are they used for? Or should I ask?

I run some miners and other network services on my main PC so technically it's in use 24/7. The other machines I use for testing and whatnot only get turned on the rare times I use them.

Well I'm not affected by broken Microsoft patches because I don't get any! THERE!!

Vista was essentially Windows 7 without driver support. I never had any problems with it. In fact, the Vista on my ex's Dell laptop is still running strong and never been reinstalled. It just keeps chugging away and has been doing so since 2010.

I use Sleep mode and all applications open all the time like web browsing many tabs. No boot time at all instantaneous on.

I don't use hibernate or Hybrid, both use SSD.

Sleep mode. I usually have a thousand things open & organised. I do a fresh boot when my machine locks up.
Although I've never had an SSD. I didn't know that sleep causes issues with them, that's interesting & handy to know. I'll stick with sleep mode until I go SSD I think.
Vista.. 😂

Sleep mode. I usually have a thousand things open & organised. I do a fresh boot when my machine locks up.
Although I've never had an SSD. I didn't know that sleep causes issues with them, that's interesting & handy to know. I'll stick with sleep mode until I go SSD I think.
Vista.. ��

SSD's don't cause a problem with sleep, just that when you use the option Hibernate or Hybrid sleep it stores everything open on the HDD or SSD every time you put the PC to sleep, If you don't use those options the PC just uses main memory for sleep mode. Hibernate or Hybrid sleep is just more wear on the SSD that is all.

Off when im done for the day..otherwise it is on.

Sleep and hibernate can have issues and with an ssd or pcie ssd, boot times are less than 30s. I prefer a fresh start. ;)

This. I disable sleep and hibernate as my initial OS tweaking. Sometimes I'll leave the system on overnight but I haven't lately because of all the damn LED lights I put into my new case. (This is one area where having old-fashioned Noctuas was a real advantage)

- - - Updated - - -

Except the part where it never really did...

I had less problems in my year+ with Vista than I've had so far with Win 10, and I've only had Windows 10 installed for about 14 days. (and the Media Center in Vista was far superior to any other version I've used)

Always on 24x7. Even have UPSs to keep them up in case the power goes out. I'm usually working from the time I get up until the last keystroke so I can't even wait for a proper shutdown/startup. Power bill can be sucky at times, but oh well.

I had less problems in my year+ with Vista than I've had so far with Win 10, and I've only had Windows 10 installed for about 14 days. (and the Media Center in Vista was far superior to any other version I've used)

There's an app for that.
app for that.jpg

Back