• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer unusable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I don't know what is going on with my machine, but I'm royally ticked off.

Specs:

Latest Lunatics Cuda/AP installer
Boinc 6.6.28
185.85 Nvidia drivers

It is nearly impossible to browse the internet, use IRC or navigate my computer right now. Boinc is running 4 APs and 4 Cuda apps at any one time, but is queueing up to about 20 Cuda units in memory, and when it runs out of memory it loads it into the page file whether I want it to or not. I have to suspend the computation to be able to use my computer at all. There's also about a hundred Cuda units in the "waiting to run" state in the boinc manager.

I was using the Nvidia 182.50 drivers before now and upgraded them in the hopes that things would improve. They have not.

Interesting, I had a similar problem, I'm not sure what fixed it , but its gone now, it seemed like I only had 1MB of video ram, thats how long it too kfor it to do the things i wanted. click a different app took liek 20 seconds to change, but now it seems to be fine.

I have it using both cores and 90% of the time, "to keep temps down"

Could it be a memory issue? How much you got? Also, the last three machines I've built have been laggy, not 30 second laggy, but noticeable. The difference in the last three is CUDA. The machines only have 1G, but since I dont USE them, I put up with it.

I would agree about the CUDA... mostly. 8600GT and 9800GX2, both lag... I expected it on the 8600gt, but didn't on the 9800GX2. However, the new GTX260 216's do not lag a bit. He's running 2 x 295's (2 260's on a card). Maybe it's the dual chip card that is messing it up.
Something else I noticed about the 9800GX2, is that it would start CUDA tasks and not finish them immediately. It would run them anywhere from 30-90% and switch to a new task, so there would be 15 or more that were in the waiting to run status (Not sure why). I'm thinking it had something to do with the dual GPU.
Maybe try and run each card with SLI enabled, to see if Boinc recognizing it as 1 card makes a difference (just for trouble shooting purposes).

Back