• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer wont boot...MOBO dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hrobakca

Not sure if this is right board to post but here it goes. Yesterday tried to install Opensuse 11.3 on my eMachine EL1210-09 took 6-7 hrs to install..after wards seemd to just hang...on reboot computer would not boot...didnit seem to recogmnize any of the devices..optical red light didnt lite up keyboard was unresponsive and coulnt even boot from cd drive...and i have spent so much time trying to fix this ...

Chris Hrobak

Could be several things including PSU, memory and HD. This might better be posted in general hardware. What have you tried so far with regard to diagnosing the problem? Usually the place to start is removing all unnecessary components, including pairing down to one memory stick at a time and moving it around to different slots, substituting another PSU, ect.

What i have dont so far is unplugged psu from mobo...removed battery switched hard drives..but nothing everything but monitor and keyboard power up monitor says in sleep mode like its not plugged in

Was everything running correctly before you switched to Linux??? Being an off-the-shelf machine it's very possible the Linux drivers aren't working correctly with your hardware. A lot of machines like that use non-standard hardware and often require special drivers.

I'm not much of a Linux person, though, you might want to also start a thread in that section just in case it's Linux related ...
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

I am placing a bet on bad motherboard. In no way should it take that long to install Open SUSE. Time to find a cheap replacement board. It really isn't worth spending a lot of time on old hardware when you can get better stuff for cheap.

Last edited:
Looks like problem solved...seems that the RAM was the reason for the booting problem...the one thing that i didnt check...not sure if the RAM is bad or incompatible..OCZ DDR2 PC6400 1GB stick p/n OCZ2V8001G 1.8v but ill have to check and see.

Thanks for your input

Run Memtest86+ on the ram one stick at a time to check each stick in each slot.

Last edited:
Another thing you may want to do is upgrade the power supply b4 it takes out your mobo.
Emachines are notorious for using sub standard or under-rated power supplies.
Last yr I replaced a mobo in a emachines unit, and when I researched the mobo and it's spec's, I came to realize that Emachines used a 230 watt supply for a board that says it needs 300w just by itself..let alone the fans, hdds etc. Needless to say, I replaced the power supply also. the unit is still running, but I told him that if the computer went down again, to just buy another brand, because I refuse to work on emachines again.
I hope this helps,
Doc

Back