• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer wont post, immediately shuts off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So...I'm assuming your mobo doesn't have the W_PUMP header?
If not...have you tried simply reversing those plugs?

I looked it up, apparently the fan should be plugged into CPU_FAN and the pump should be plugged into one of the CHA_FAN headers. I'm going to make the change but I don't think this would effect booting up. Results wont be immediate but I'll report back.

Last edited:
I plugged the pump into one of the CHA_FAN headers and plugged the fan into CPU_FAN. I also disabled some of the CPU energy saving options in the BIOS which I think automatically assigned the CPU more voltage. There's an option for increasing the offset, it's currently set to +0.006. Should I increase that?

then as I read it you have either lost the tach signal from the pump or the cpu-opt fan header has gone bad.

Not on an 8 core FX. You can't count to 3 before it shuts down.

The Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0 may have a design flaw!
I suspected mine was shutting down at only about 65 C with a paltry 4.4 Ghz OC! WTF! (It was an OC test and it would shut down easily with pass #2 x.264!)

I saw that even a cheap 970 motherboard can do 4.4 with an FX 8350! (And no, I'm not taking about as cheap as an MSI "G43") (I'm talking about the Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P (non-U))
(Even the non-U version has a heatsink on the VRM section.) (See isogamer's posts)

I saw it climb, but only to around 65 C for the socket temp before it clicked off! It looked rather reasonable for a heavy load! The package temp was way lower! Makes me want to curse Asus...

I should have tried it with another motherboard...

Last edited:
It's too soon to tell. Sometimes weeks can go by without any issue. As I have no idea what the cause is I don't know how to replicate it.
Don't change anything else so you know what exactly the problem is... If you change two things, you won't know what did it. ;)

It's now been a full month without issue. Either changing the plug out of the CPU_OPT or upping the voltage helped. I think it's safe to say it's fixed.

I'll lower the voltage to default settings next time I restart the system.

It's been a month without issues. It once didn't boot Windows claiming CPU overclocking problems but it only happened once. I think the issue was the header.

Back