• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused about camera lenses: Canon S2 IS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aidenswarrior

ok so i checked out lensemate.com and i am really confused on what i need. I see there is like the 52mm adapter and the 58 and then there are the different lenses... so much **** to choose from. I am looking for a wide angle lense and the telephoto lense. What all do i need to get these?

I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to do. The Canon S2 IS comes out of the box with a optical zoom lens (36 – 432mm f/2.7-f.3.5). The lower end of the zoom is wide angle. About 50-55mm is considered a "normal" lens. Anything less is wide angle and anything higher is telephoto.

I think there are optional wide and tele converter lenses available too, so maybe that's what you are talking about. Post a link to what you are looking at and we'll try to make sense of it.

EDIT: Ok, I think you need an adapter if you want to get the optional lenses. Maybe the 52mm and 58mm is the size of the threads at the end of the lens that the optional lenses screw into? If so, measure it.

Why do you need more of a wide angle than what the standard lens already has?

Last edited:
batboy said:
I'm a little confused as to what you are trying to do. The Canon S2 IS comes out of the box with a optical zoom lens (36 – 432mm f/2.7-f.3.5). The lower end of the zoom is wide angle. About 50-55mm is considered a "normal" lens. Anything less is wide angle and anything higher is telephoto.

I think there are optional wide and tele converter lenses available too, so maybe that's what you are talking about. Post a link to what you are looking at and we'll try to make sense of it.

EDIT: Ok, I think you need an adapter if you want to get the optional lenses. Maybe the 52mm and 58mm is the size of the threads at the end of the lens that the optional lenses screw into? If so, measure it.

Why do you need more of a wide angle than what the standard lens already has?

cause i have cash to blow and there are only 3 lenses available for the camera. and i dont really want a macro lense cause the camera is fine with macro. I am talking about the wide angle and tele converter lenses. There are so many adapters and rings or w/e, i am not sure what i all need just to use the two lenses.

btw this was the site i was talking about. sorry.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/

Hey, the Lensmate adapter appears to be pretty cool. My first thought was "forget it, get the official Canon adapter", but the more I read about it, the better I liked it. Looks pretty good too.

If I were buying one of these adapters, I'd get the 52mm one, mainly because I got a bunch of 52mm filters from my old Nikon 35mm film camera days. If I didn't already have 52mm filters, I would probably get the 58mm adapter, because I think the official Canon adapter and lenses are 58mm.

So, before you decide which adapter to get, you need to figure out which lenses and filters you have or plan to get.

9. Which adapter should I buy?
If you're only using filters, a sun hood, a macro lens, or any of the wide converters tested here (except the Canon WC-DC58A .75x), get the 52mm adapter. If you're using the Canon converters or already have 58mm filters or accessories, get the 58mm adapter.
Hope this helps your decision a little.

bah, not this again. Those attachments are all crap really, save your money. The more you tack on your lense the worse the sharpness/clarity is. Look at how cheap it is compared to SLR lenses, there is a reason for that, you get what you pay for. Save yourself the trouble and pick up a nikon D50, body runs for $545 right now, thats pretty much a price of a very nice point and shoot. At this point unlese you want something very small to fit in your pocket there really is no reason not to get a digital SLR. The CCD size over a point and shoot is like day and night quality wise.

Back