• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused-Need Advice...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott156

Greetings!

I’m hoping you guys can answer something for me and let me know if this is normal.

I have upgraded my video card from a eVGA 8800GTX to a eVGA 285GTX and when I run a benchmark using PerformanceTest v7 I noticed that that the overall score was almost exactly the same (about 1480). Upon closer inspection of the results I noticed that, as expected the 3D video score was much better but the CPU scores were way down, by about 25% with the 285GTX then with the 8800GTX. Also the 2D performance score was way down on the 285GTX compared to the 8800GTX. However, my main question is why would CPU performance tank with the 285GTX? It doesn’t make sense to me…

My specs:
-Intel Q9550 Quad Core
-ASUS P5N72-T Premium Motherboard
-8GB OCZ Titanium DDR2 RAM @ 800Mhz
-Corsair HX 750W PSU
-EVGA 285GTX
Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Thanks!

Scott

if you run intel burn test on the cpu does it throttle down? use cpuz and coretemp to see what happens if you havent checked...

Back