• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

confusion with RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nadasaki

Registered
Hey everyone,
I'm running this conf atm:
PSU: Chieftec 550W
CPU: core2duo e7200 2.53 (default clock)
mobo: Gigabyte P32-S3G
gpu: Gainward 8800gt

In short:
I bought 2x2GB Mushkin ddr2 1066mhz through personal adds
(here's a photo - IUIAt.jpg )
I decided on this type of memory because it's the highest RAM my mobo can support.
I plugged them in and my CPU-Z shows that the modules are NOT working at the above said speed. It clearly shows that it's working on 333(667)mhz while the add said 1066.
My questions are - Why is this? Is there something I don't understand about how dual-channel RAM works? And ultimately - Have I been ripped off?

jP8zL.png b6R0O.png FDrRE.png

Ask me if you need any more info.
Thanks for the help in advance.

you'll have to manually enter the ram timings it looks like.

some mbs don't auto detect the ram settings. your ram according to your heatsink is a 2.1v unit.

bump the voltage to 2.1v and timing up to 1066mhz manually. should work. looks like the latencies are being reported correctly, which mean you don't have to play with that at least.

Thank you for your reply kind sir,
I took the liberty of going into my BIOS and taking a screenshot:
gfCAgl.jpg
What do you recommend I should configure exactly?

I assume you meant P35-S3G, and not P32-S3G? Change the System Memory Multiplier to 4.00 (266MHz FSB x 4.00 = DDR2-1066), and DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) to Auto. Then look at the PC Health Status screen to view the value for DDR18V, and if necessary adjust the DDR2 OverVoltage Control option until the value reads 2.1V. After changing the value, you'll need to Save and Exit (F10) from the BIOS, then reboot back to the BIOS to view the current value.

I did everything as you said and here's what I got:
vLXtKl.jpg

I raised the system memory multiplier to 4 and I've raised the voltage by +0.3V as you can see in the screenshot
But to my surprise, CPU-Z showed changes only on the "memory" tab. The SPD slots #1 and #2 have remained identical, even the voltage.

0U5et.png

By my understanding, it's the SPD memory frequency that needs to be raised but it remained the same and I have no idea how to change it. The multiplier only works on the digits "on the right" (see the 667 and 1066 next to each other on the BIOS screenshot)
What else could I try?

Spd tab is static as that it was the settings are for those speeds.. The memory tab is what its actually running at.

So basically 533 DRAM frequency means I've got 1066 at the moment because it's dual channeled? And the values below that, which were 5-5-5-15-44 now became 5-8-8-24-68
Is that good or bad? Is there something else I could do?

This is a bit offtopic but since I have the screenshots up... any tips on if I should OC my CPU?

You probably could overclock to 3.0GHz without a aftermarket cooling fan.
Ok question about that, how do I OC the CPU without overclocking memory frequency at the same time?
If I increase the cpu frequency without playing with the multiplier(clock ratio), then my mem.freq goes up too!
What's the best way given my BIOS screenshot?

You have to lower the memory speed first then overclock the CPU.

He is right. Lower memory first and work on getting your CPU up and stable. Unfortunately you are running an older CPU that doesn't have a multiplier so you have to overclock via the bus speed which as you discovered affects everything which makes it a slower and a little more difficult process not impossible but it will take more tweaking.

What Cooler do you currently have on your CPU?

And :welcome:

Forgot to mention, it's a factory cooler but so far I didn't have any problems with over-heating. Usually its about 30-35C idle. I'll play around with some figures tonight and post results.
Wish me good luck! :)

idle isnt relevant for the most part what are LOAD temps (stress test application like Prime95)?

That cheiftec PSU is making my stomach turn though... bleh.

Have you look at the C2D/C2Q overclocking guide in my signature... may want to read that...twice for good measure. :)

idle isnt relevant for the most part what are LOAD temps (stress test application like Prime95)?

That cheiftec PSU is making my stomach turn though... bleh.

Have you look at the C2D/C2Q overclocking guide in my signature... may want to read that...twice for good measure. :)

yes the stickies are a great start. and as mentioned get Prime 95 so you can get load temps.

and like earthdog mentioned PSU's are very important. it can make and break an overclock... and fry mobo's... I lost 9 mobos on my first build because of a bad PSU but I was young and dumb and didn't know any better lol

Back