• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with running 2 ram sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infoto

Registered
Hi guys,I am new here :)
I finally got all my parts and assembled my PC. Everything seemed to be ok but when I ran a memtest under Windows it freezed or restarted or just got blue screen.I have tested all my ram sticks with memtest86 under dos and they seem to be working fine (3 passes, no errors).And the interesting part is that when I plug only 1 ram stick, it works fine and passes all tests under windows.When I plug more than 1 stick either in dual or single channel, it gives errors,freezes, gives blue screen or restarts.
Specs:

PSU: Corsair 650W
CPU: AMD 6100
RAM: 2x2gb OCZ GOLD 1333MHZ@1600MHZ 8-8-8-24
MOBO: Asrock 970 Pro3
Video: 3870x2
SSD: 60 GB Intel 520
HDD: WD GREEN 500GB

PS: I have tried all bios versions.I disabled the page file but again nothing.I ran the PC with only the SSD but again nothing. And when I contacted the store where I bought the parts, the seller told me that this is a software problem :eh?: Please help me to figure it out and sorry for my bad English :)

I'm just going to re-iterate what you said just to make sure we are on the same page. You tested each stick with memtest and you had no errors. Then in stalled each one separately also and the pc runs fine. As soon as you put two sticks in you start having issues? I'll start with the simplest question, did you make sure the timings are all set correctly and Dram voltage also. You could try putting the Dram Voltage to 1.55 and see if it helps. Are they both the same sticks, ie timings and such? Have you tested each stick 1 individually in each ram slot and try running like that?

The ram sticks are identical. I have tried them at their stock speed with timings 9-9-9-20 and 1.65v.These are the official specs.Now I am running them at 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24. I have also tried them at 1.58v and again the same problem.
I have also tried with a Kingston kit 2x2gb 1333Mhz 9-9-9-27 and again they give errors under windows :confused:

so you tried a different set of sticks on the motherboard with the same results? With 1 stick in it is fine but with 2 you get errors? The Cpu and Gpu are at stock settings correct? Sounds like it may be a bad be a DIMM slot. I would try, if you haven't already running memtest with one stick in the 1 dimm slot then move it to the next slot and re run memtest. Do that for each slot and see if you might have a bad slot. You could also look at the slots and see if maybe one of the connections have corrosion or even a foreign object in it.

I am now testing each ram stick in every slot.I will post the results when I am done :)

Infoto said:
I have tried them at their stock speed with timings 9-9-9-20 and 1.65v.These are the official specs.Now I am running them at 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24. I have also tried them at 1.58v and again the same problem.
If you have OCZ Gold edition DDR3-1333 rated at 9-9-9-20 and 1.7-1.75 OVP, why are you trying to run them at DDR3-1600 w/ tighter timings of 8-8-8 and lower voltage of 1.58-1.65V? I assume these are your modules?...

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr3-pc3-10666-gold-edition.html

... and what were the exact STOP errors in the BSODs? You may also need to bump the CPU NB voltage and / or the NB voltage slightly for stability at DDR3-1333+ speeds.

Last edited:
That is the right KIT.But it appeared that one of the sticks isn`t working.I tested it with memtest 86 again and there were no errors in the first pass,but then it started giving errors. :( Then I tested again the Kingston under Windows and again it restarted or freezed (in either single or dual channel). I think they are just not compatible with the mobo even though they are in the supported list.(I use them in the other PC without any problems) So I inserted the working OCZ ram and one Corsair Dominator 1800Mhz 1gb. It is running in single channel but it`s running STABLE :) . I will receive another two ocz gold kits on Monday and see what will happen :)

So I bought 4x2gb G.Skill ddr3 1333mhz and they are working fine.But when I am doing some work on the computer, it randomly freezes and I noticed that before it freezes, it makes a strange noise which I think,comes from the hdd.It is like the hdd stops or something like that. :confused: The hdd is WD Caviar green 500gb

PS: It keeps restarting or freezing and now it gave me a blue screen with artefacts- Driver IRQL not less or equal (it freezed on the blue screen);I also tested the PC with a 2x2gb OCZ kit that I received on Monday and it`s working fine with them. Both OCZ and G.Skill kits pass Memtest86+

Last edited:
The system seems to be working fine with the G.Skill ram without freezing, restarting or giving blue screens in safe mode

PS: This is the error log -
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.
Code:
The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000010, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff80319f027a2). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 022213-9874-01.

And here are the DUMP files:

Attachments

• MINIDUMP.zip
    83.8 KB · Views: 28
  • error log 1.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 84
  • error log 2.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 52
  • error log 3.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Today I played with the voltages and timings but again no success. :( I tested the G.Skill kit on the other PC and it`s working excellent.

Sounds like a motherboard hardware problem or maybe a bios issue. Just an aside, there are a lot of reports of compatibility issues when Kingston ram is run on AMD systems.

And I think so, but when I returned the Mobo,CPU and Kingston ram to the seller, he said that he had had no problems running the system and everything had been fine.He even sent me pictures :confused: .And now when I contact him he says that it`s a software problem

Today I bumped the voltages of NB and DRAM. I set the NB to 1.2V and the DRAM to 1.7V (G.Skill is rated at 1.5V). It seems to run stable. It passes 1 hour of OCCT without any errors, but isn`t 1.7V too much?

Back