• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting my TV to my Dell Altec Lansing 5.1 Stereo. Help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Showbe

Registered
I was wondering if its possible to set up my PC stereo system with my TV? The back of my TV has a Digital Out slot that I believe the black wire will go in and has 2 spots for a Left and Right connection. I read on toms hardware I would need a Y splitter to get it to connect it but then I wouldnt be able to connect the 3rd wire to anything in the back. Would it only work without the subwoofer or is it possible to get the whole thing to work with my TV. I currently have it connected to my computer but I am ordering an HDMI cable to use it to connect it to my TV instead of a DVI out and was wondering if the sound would be better if I connected it through my TV instead of my sound card on my PC.

I have a link of my TV and a link to the manual for my speaker system. I have a SPDIF out on my TV and my Subwoofer part of my Altec Lansing stereo has this thing for a SPDIF Diagnosis which I have no idea how that stuff works.

Will rep for any useful information on what to do. I was going to buy this Y connector but I dont want to be spending money if I dont have to even though its only a dollar I am a cheap ******* and would rather drive to the store to buy it if I really need it. I believe this and along with the audio out in the back of my tv would work for 2 of my 3 wires that are on my stereo system. All would be missing would be 1 wire but was wondering if its possible to use the SPDIF out if my system permitted it.
http://www.amazon.com/Male-3-5mm-Ste.../dp/B000I23TTE

http://store.sony.com/p/KDL-40EX400/...specifications
and
Altec Lansing 5.1 Speaker System ADA995
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...a995/setup.htm

From TV Link
Audio Features

AC Power Input : 1 (Rear) Pigtail
Analog Audio Input(s) (Total) : 4 (1 Side / 3 Rear)
Audio Out : 1(Rear)
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s) : 2 (Rear) (1 fixed/1 selectable)
Composite Video Input(s) : 2 (1 Side/1 Rear)
Digital Audio Output(s) : Optical Digital Output - 1 (Rear)
HDMI™ Connection(s) (Total) : 4 (2 Side/2 Rear)
HDMI™ PC Input : Yes
PC In (D-Sub) + Audio In (Stereo Mini) : 1(Rear) ( common with HDMI 1) (stereo Mini)
RF Connection Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
USB 2.0 : 1(Side)

5.1 Channel Audio Out : Yes
5.1ch Through Out (Handycam) : Yes
Alternate Audio (Digital) : yes
Audio Out : Fixed
Auto Mute (on no signal) : Yes
Auto SAP : 20FM/10AM
Clear Voice : Yes
Dolby® : Dolby® Digital
Invisible Speaker (w/Sound Elevation) : Yes
Sound Mode : Dynamic, Standard, Clear Voice, Custom
SteadySound® Automatic Volume Control : Yes
Stereo System : MTS
Surround Effect : Cinema, Music, Live Sports, Game

can anyone help me?

Yep. You only have 2ch analog out from your tv so you will not get 5.1 sound out of it. With that system only having analog input and not optical (it would need a decoder also) you wont be able to use all 5.1 speakers. It does have some mention of a SPDIF interface, but nothing very specific. That is usually an RCA connector that carries a digital signal. You can get an optical>spdif converter for ~$20 if that will work, but looking at the back of the sub it doesn't have the port I'm talking about, only 3.5mm analog inputs.

Back