• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conroe whats so special?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RangerXLT8 said:
Here it is in a non-technical nutshell.

Intel got rid of the netburst architecture. Conroe has short pipelines and lower frequencies, where netburst has long pipelines and high frequencies. There is soo much more I can't explain.

Jesus, nobody is starting a Jihad. The quote above is what everyone is talking about when we said that Intel has gone the AMD route of engineering. Which is a good thing, yay for Conroe.

Makaelin said:
Jesus, nobody is starting a Jihad. The quote above is what everyone is talking about when we said that Intel has gone the AMD route of engineering. Which is a good thing, yay for Conroe.

the jihad thing is a little extreme (foolish) but he's right, after the on die mem controller was a failed intel technology if i am not mistaken, AMD has always taken intels lead and made it better (sometimes, A64's primarily) so now intel has done the same, restolen i guess you could say...

As for which manufacturer follows which, that's open to debate. The future roadmap of Intel already has integrated memory controllers and a point-to-point bus (think Hypertransport).
Of course, all this tech has been developed 5-10 years ago by DEC engineers for the Alpha...
So in summary. both AMD and Intel suck in tech. Long live Alpha! (well, meaybe more like "RIP")

And to sort of get on topic again: Conroe has 4MB cache apparently. How big is a Conroe die again?

klingens said:
As for which manufacturer follows which, that's open to debate. The future roadmap of Intel already has integrated memory controllers and a point-to-point bus (think Hypertransport).
Of course, all this tech has been developed 5-10 years ago by DEC engineers for the Alpha...
So in summary. both AMD and Intel suck in tech. Long live Alpha! (well, meaybe more like "RIP")

And to sort of get on topic again: Conroe has 4MB cache apparently. How big is a Conroe die again?

65nm i thought

only 2.4 and up are 4 mb there's actually two 2,4 chips one with 2mb and one with 4mb

well if intel never existed, neither would amd, they basically started off of intels tech back in pre history so, this is all kind of pointless.

let's not forget who wins in these wars: US! the consumers win in this
instance of "chip wars" taking sides and trying to be a fanboi or representative of a company is ludicrous. do you think that company youre saying is better than the other gives a damn about anything but your money?

think.

Steps on soap box.

Conroe, itself isn't really "special." It's just another CPU. Before people come after me with pitchforks - relax. Conroe, is a fine piece of silicon, but it won't be the last. Every time a company releases some new hardware it seems like entire communities of enthusiasts jubilantly exclaim, "Hallelujah"! It's to the point that it's predictable. I can almost time the posts with the product announcements. Then, I can predict the flush of excitation people get with confirming their pre-order. "I shall be the first. The alpha and the omega. The magnum opus of overclocking shall commence... as soon as newegg ships my order." Then of course we begin seeing ship dates pushed back, and the inevitible pre-order blues posts. "Why oh why hath newegg forsaken me? They LIED TO ME"!

This is computer hardware folks. It's not a religion. If one of your greatest thrills in life is seeing a higher 3dmark score; you should probably unplug for a little while.

Steps off soap box.

Return to your irrelevant arguments.

well if intel never existed, neither would amd, they basically started off of intels tech back in pre history so, this is all kind of pointless.

Agreed. Remember, Intel invented the x86 architecture; the very foundation of PC cpus and now Macs, only to have this technology blatantly duplicated from AMD. So here we are, so what if Intel liscences an instruction set from AMD or emulates a basic "PPW" rubric? Big deal. AMD took x86 from Intel, so unless Intel liscences an equally profound technology from AMD who do you really think is copying who?

>HyperlogiK< said:
there is another thread here, containing a similar smattering of obvious facts, and fanboyish nonsense, and a whole bunch of others that are very similar.

Oh okay i've been laying low on the conroe hype lately :p

Super Nade said:
Guys, this is not about AMD v/s Intel. Let us keep this on topic!

Another useful article from Anandtech
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2748

One of the unfortunate side-effects of mentioning "Company A" is that someone will write, "Something about company B."

Why must everything be a contest? When unreleased products are fair game for micturating contests, rest assured that you won't be able to keep this train on the tracks for very long. People are almost never happy with what they've got unless it's "better" than the other guy's.

I'd wager that a lot of overclockers enjoy bragging about their CPUs more than they do using the PC.

BTW: Conroe search in overclockers Intel forum

dreamtfk said:
Ok, Ok guys I got the point. I should have known this would be a touchy subject lol

This is no fault of yours! Infact, this could still be a very useful thread if kept on track. I am seriously looking into a Mermon based system as well. Coming from the Opteron/DFI side, I need the information as much as you do. :)

Unfortunately, every other thread in the Intel forum seems to invariably degenerate into a slugfest. So, it is not you who needs to be worried, but others who deviate from the topic at hand. I cannot, for the life of me understand, why people take sides with such a degree of vehemence? :confused:

I am sure this issue has come up ad-nauseum, yet we don't seem to see the end of it. :rolleyes:

Now I only hope, this thread will be more useful to members like me who have no-clue about the Intel side of things.

:)

S-N

Intel Availability:

I personally don't think there will be a shortage of these CPU(s) and chips. Otellini already addressed this issue in the Intel 2006 strategy pdf.

Most organisms have a trait called competitiveness. Turn on the travel channel. Some people in Africa whip each other with sticks. Some people bungee jump with vines. Some people OC :shrug:

Have fun. As long as they don't go looking for trouble.

Jame Gumb said:
Intel Availability:

I personally don't think there will be a shortage of these CPU(s) and chips.

agreed. this is INTEL we are talking about here, REMEMBER THAT people.
it is not like they DON'T have the resources to produce at a huge scale.
that shouldnt be anything to worry about.

I was speaking with Gautam earlier, and he mentioned that the DTR versions may lack proper MoBo support. It is the DTR versions I'm excited about. I hope ASUS or DFI would put out an enthusiast special. Right now, he and Joe Camel among others are struggling with a lacklusture AOpen offering.

Back