• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering upgrading my cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys I have a Noctua D14 and I am not sure what would be a good upgrade for cooling and Med OC my Intel i7-3930k? Any recommendation that is in a reasonable price range. Thanks! :D

Get a Nepton 280L, then take the top fan you remove and put out as a third intake in the front.

I suspect a couple of higher performance fans (like TY-143) on NH-D14 would easily make up that difference.

Eh, the D14 doesn't really scale well with fan speed. It's made for quiet performance, not "balls to the wall".

Biggest improvement over stock here is under 3°C... at the expense of 8dBa. And that's also 3 fans instead of 2.
http://www.overclockers.com/pwm-fans-nh-d14/

And here you see 4°C over stock, but that's at the expense of almost 20dBa!!!
http://www.overclockers.com/hotrod-heatsink-faster-fans-noctua-nh-d14/

Pulled from the conclusion of the second link:
Noctua built the NH-D14 to cool well and do so quietly. It even provides adapters to quiet the fans even further, secure in the knowledge that their heatsink will still do a good job cooling. So why go the other way?

I agree with atm. The noctua coolers are among the best and the same goes for there fans. They may be ugly but they are damn good performers.

Here is testing showing much greater differences than yours.
NH-D14 w-TY143   640, 1200 & 2500rpm.JPG

Much depends on how much heat CPU is making.

Last edited:
Where's the stock fan results here? Gives us nothing to compare to.
TY-143 at 1200-1300rpm has same performance as TY-140 at same rpm, which is near identical performance as Noctua stock fans.
This fan is really silent, to my ear at max speed around 1300 rpm, it has the calm low freq hum and almost no bearing noise, overall it is far better than Noctua P-14.

Also the P-14 has the obvious noise starting around 1000 rpm and above.

Cooling performance wise, I'd say they similar or equal, but on the noise per performance ratio, hands down on TY-140.
Post #9
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...40-fan-a-new-good-noise-performance-140mm-fan

In that post all I seen a comparrison of was the noise levels compared to the noctua fans unless I overlooked something..And if I am not mistaken Noctua has new fans out since 2010.....

So the 14cm fans will have similar performance but the 12cm fan isn't? What will it be than? Certainly you don't think it will out-perform the TY-140 / TY-143 at 1200rpm.
And because I can't give you empirical data to support what is simply common sense it means nothing?

Yet you post 2-3c difference with no data at all to support it is supposed to carry weight?

I have supplied reasonable data to support my claim .. data show way more than 2-3c different.
But you supply nothing to support yours.
But yours is valid and mine is not.
I guess hypocrisy rules.

There is nothing showing the performance of the stock noctua setup compared to the other fans. From what I have seen.

In that post all I seen a comparrison of was the noise levels compared to the noctua fans unless I overlooked something..And if I am not mistaken Noctua has new fans out since 2010.....
I guess you are blind to the last sentence then.
This fan is really silent, to my ear at max speed around 1300 rpm, it has the calm low freq hum and almost no bearing noise, overall it is far better than Noctua P-14.

Also the P-14 has the obvious noise starting around 1000 rpm and above.

Cooling performance wise, I'd say they similar or equal, but on the noise per performance ratio, hands down on TY-140

Ok so they are quieter, like I have been saying I can see that they are quieter. Yet no performance difference cooling wise over noctuas stock fans which is what originally got us started on this subject.

So the 14cm fans will have similar performance but the 12cm fan isn't? What will it be than? Certainly you don't think it will out-perform the TY-140 / TY-143 at 1200rpm.
And because I can't give you empirical data to support what is simply common sense it means nothing?

Yet you post 2-3c difference with no data at all to support it is supposed to carry weight?

I have supplied reasonable data to support my claim .. data show way more than 2-3c different.
But you supply nothing to support yours.
But yours is valid and mine is not.
I guess hypocrisy rules.

You're saying that you see a much larger difference, but you have no control to base it off of.
If you really wanted to show a difference, put stock numbers in there. Then you have a baseline to compare to any other review using stock fans.

My 2-3°C difference is based on frostytech's database. So yes, it has data behind it.
The Glacer 240L and NH-D14 are exactly 2.7°C apart in their testing.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2780&page=5

So, thanks for the whole "hypocrisy rules" statement.
When in fact, it is based off of facts, but I don't feel like linking them every single time I cite them.

And, also, how do I have "no data to support my claim"? I've shown two different testing links on the D14. And now I've also shown where I got my original numbers from.

Ok so they are quieter, like I have been saying I can see that they are quieter. Yet no performance difference cooling wise over noctuas stock fans which is what originally got us started on this subject.
This seems more like petty bickering than constructive discussion.

At 1200-1300rpm the TY-140 series fans perform very similar to Noctua stock fans,. TY-143 used in data I supplied has identical performance to TY-140 at 1200-1300rpm, but continues up to 2500rpm. That is where the cooling difference is. I'm not claiming everyone will get 7-8c better cooling, but I'm also not claiming the difference is only 2-3c

Back