• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering upgrading my cooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This seems more like petty bickering than constructive discussion.

At 1200-1300rpm the TY-140 series fans perform very similar to Noctua stock fans,. TY-143 used in data I supplied has identical performance to TY-140 at 1200-1300rpm, but continues up to 2500rpm. That is where the cooling difference is. I'm not claiming everyone will get 7-8c better cooling, but I'm also not claiming the difference is only 2-3c

If they're similar to Noctua stock fans, show a test (with the fans on the heatsink) that replicates your statement.

Also, on the graph you linked, how the heck is 2x2500 RPM hotter than 1x2500 RPM?
Did you mess up the bar graph, or did you edit the number?

You're saying that you see a much larger difference, but you have no control to base it off of.
If you really wanted to show a difference, put stock numbers in there. Then you have a baseline to compare to any other review using stock fans.

My 2-3°C difference is based on frostytech's database. So yes, it has data behind it.
The Glacer 240L and NH-D14 are exactly 2.7°C apart in their testing.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2780&page=5

So, thanks for the whole "hypocrisy rules" statement.
When in fact, it is based off of facts, but I don't feel like linking them every single time I cite them.

And, also, how do I have "no data to support my claim"? I've shown two different testing links on the D14. And now I've also shown where I got my original numbers from.
Many do not put much credence to Frosty's data. They are only using 150w maximum heat, meaning they cannot show as much difference in cooling ability as higher heat outputs would. Add to that the NH-D14 testing was done in 2010 and Glacier the end of 2013. Their data shows Silver Arrow (8x pipes and 2x 140mm) 0.4c warmer than Vapor 120 (4x pipes & 120mm), and 0.1c warmer than Hyper 120 Evo (4x pipes & 120mm).

You are only using data that support at best 150w heat coming from CPU. The data I supplied is based on much more heat.

But of course you know more.

Many do not put much credence to Frosty's data. They are only using 150w maximum heat, meaning they cannot show as much difference in cooling ability as higher heat outputs would. Add to that the NH-D14 testing was done in 2010 and Glacier the end of 2013. Their data shows Silver Arrow (8x pipes and 2x 140mm) 0.4c warmer than Vapor 120 (4x pipes & 120mm), and 0.1c warmer than Hyper 120 Evo (4x pipes & 120mm).

You are only using data that support at best 150w heat coming from CPU. The data I supplied is based on much more heat.

But of course you know more.

Well, when you show something we can compare back to, I'll believe what you're showing.
Point is, your test can be compared only to your own test.

Also, not sure why you say they only test to 150W, they clearly have 200W tests in their reviews.

If they're similar to Noctua stock fans, show a test (with the fans on the heatsink) that replicates your statement.

Also, on the graph you linked, how the heck is 2x2500 RPM hotter than 1x2500 RPM?
Did you mess up the bar graph, or did you edit the number?

Look at original graph and see for yourself.
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=269339

somehow I goofed up the bar graph, but temp is accurate. Only 1.2c cooler with 2x fans than one.
Good catch! I'll fix it.

Well, when you show something we can compare back to, I'll believe what you're showing.
Point is, your test can be compared only to your own test.

Also, not sure why you say they only test to 150W, they clearly have 200W tests in their reviews.

If any testing can be compared, what I presented is as valid as any. We know the TY-140 and the stock NH-D14 fans have very similar performance. I have supplied a report by someone who changed his stock NH-D14 fans to TY-140 fans and had very similar performance with less noise. In my book that makes my comparison valid.

But you are free to disagree.

You need to read and understand Frosty's data. Frosty has a very few coolers that have been tested on 200w .. and NH-D14 is definitely not one of them.

My original post was only to support your 2-3c difference an that by changing the NH-D14 fans more performance can be had.

You two just want to nit-pick and bicker.
I'm done.

Look at original graph and see for yourself.
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=269339

somehow I goofed up the bar graph, but temp is accurate. Only 1.2c cooler with 2x fans than one.
Good catch! I'll fix it.

Again, here, no stock results.
It's great testing, to compare the heatsinks to each other, but it doesn't show anything where we can compare the fans used to a stock setup.

Those graphs are much better than your original. Seeing as you were originally talking about changing fans to make up the negligible 2-3c difference. Will different fans improve performance? Maybe. Will it be worth the price point to swap fans probably not. But like atm stated there still has been no baseline of camparison with the fans you originally started defending.

Is a good argument between you guys and I can see where each party is coming from with their point of view. I guess to me was more of wondering whether or not it was worth upgrading the air cooler for a closed loop as I am not trying to jump into water cooling custom build. Done a small build like that once and can't sleep LOL! didn't leak and worked great but yes I ended up going back to air cooling. Yes Closed loop can also leak but the chances of me messing up a custom vs a closed loop are much higher. So I take my chances on closed loop but if there is not a huge performance increase switching, I guess I would stay were I am at with the Noctua.

The only closed loop I would recommend would be the swiftech 220x or 240x it is very expandable. But you doubt see a huge difference. If you really want to water cool that would be the best route in my opinion.

The only closed loop I would recommend would be the swiftech 220x or 240x it is very expandable. But you doubt see a huge difference. If you really want to water cool that would be the best route in my opinion.

On this we are in complete agreement! :cheers:

yea I heard the swiftech 220x or 240x is pretty bada$$ and have it on my list of upgrading parts to grab later on. ;) When I did try they had sold out everywhere but now I have other upgrades in line to go for first.

Is a good argument between you guys and I can see where each party is coming from with their point of view. I guess to me was more of wondering whether or not it was worth upgrading the air cooler for a closed loop as I am not trying to jump into water cooling custom build. Done a small build like that once and can't sleep LOL! didn't leak and worked great but yes I ended up going back to air cooling. Yes Closed loop can also leak but the chances of me messing up a custom vs a closed loop are much higher. So I take my chances on closed loop but if there is not a huge performance increase switching, I guess I would stay were I am at with the Noctua.
NH-D14 is still one of the best. With same fans it's as good as NH-D15.

I have NH-D15, R1 Ultimate, Silver Arrow IB-E, TC14PE, etc. and they are all so close that any one can win .. depending on what CPU they are on. Yes, cooling varies with different CPUs, but we are talking 1-3c differences. How well the TIM is seated and temp of air going into cooler can easily account for that and sometimes more differnece.

The other one to add to that list, RayRay, is the Glacer 240L. It's made by Swiftech, sold by CoolerMaster :thup:

Back