• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Controlling an MCP50X PWM Pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobsaaaget

I'm trying to control an MCP50X pump with some sort of variable controller off the motherboard. The MCP50X pump is a true PWM pump, so none of the conventional 3 pin fan controllers will be able to control it. The only true 4 pin PWM controllers I can find run around 200$, which isn't feasible for me. I've found some cheap PWM fan controllers on ebay from Hong Kong, but they probably won't be able to handle the 2A+ current that the pump needs. Would the following DIY circuit:

http://www.overclockers.com/pwm-fan-controller/

work to control this pump? This particular pump receives power from a SATA power connector and then has a 4 pin PWM cable to regulate speed, although only the "SENSE" and "CONTROL" slots of this 4 pin connector are actually used, and I'm not sure how the output of this circuit (PWMOUT/GND) would connect to this.

Are there any other ways to control this pump off the motherboard?

Back