• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Converting over to Cross-Flow Radiator: 30/45/60mm Thick?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyLakeBlue

BXKq0dsl.jpg

TL;DR located below

Hi all, I have In Win 303 currently using an XSPC AX360 kit with regular soft tubing D5 Photon > CPU > RAD standard 3 way loop. This week, I obtained a new GPU with a built-in waterblock and I was thinking of adding it to the loop but this time I'd like to dive into PETG hardline tubing. I'm hoping to do it like the one pictured above.

Ultimately I'm looking to replace my old AX360mm Rad with a Cross-Flow version

Why would you want do crossflow? That's terrible. - I know it probably doesn't perform as well as a U radiator and the picture above already demonstrates a way to do it but the convenience & aesthetic of the x-flow radiator specially in regards to routing the tubes is something I'd be willing to sacrifice some performance for.

My goal is you see on the 1st picture the tubing between the CPU > 360 RAD - instead of traveling all the way to the right I could just hook it up near the left which is shorter, less tubing, neater, I like that. :D Also some have said that an cross-flow radiator has less resistance and better flow - please do correct me if I'm wrong.

8wRtKZdl.jpg

To move on, the above is a quick view of max supported height and clearances for the chassis.

Currently the AX360 RAD is installed there and measures 40mm in thickness(h) + 25mm(h) fans = 65mm(h) combined. I know the guide shows a max of 70mm height but I could easily put another 25mm(h) fan to make it 90mm total and it's about 5-7mm from touching the glass side panel. I believe this clearance opens the opportunity to put a 60mm RAD with a 25mm fan:

Option A: 360 x 60mm RAD 3 x 120 x 25mm Fan (Push) Total Height: 85mm
Option B: 360 x 45mm RAD 3 x 120 x 25mm Fan (Push) Total Height: 70mm
Option C: 360 x 30mm RAD 6 x 120 x 25mm Fan (Push/Pull) Total Height: 80mm

For Option B I looked into push/pull configuration but the height brings it to 95mm and it looks like it's 2-3mm from touching the glass side panel - Though I could probably use slimmer fans but where to get slim high quality static pressure fans?

In additon to the 360mm RAD I'll also install a single mounted on the rear exhaust like in the 1st picture - The reason for the slim choice is because I don't want it to be bulky in that area and cover the left side of the mobo. Would it be useful or pointless to have such a slim rad? I prefer to mount the fan as push instead of pull like the 1st picture is that okay?

What do you guys think? Thicker RAD with single push config, Thinner Rad with push/pull config? Which option do you think is best? Please feel free to provide me with your opinions like an Option D or something.

8ZuWlCIm.jpg

Here is a showcase of the X-Flow Radiators from Alphacool I'm interested in:
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HeAYyfJC-8"][/video]

Finally I found that Alphacool has 2 versions of each of their radiators:

[url=https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radiators/active-radiators/20478/alphacool-nexxxos-xt45-full-copper-x-flow-360mm-radiator?c=20545]Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper X-Flow 360mm radiator $87.25
Alphacool NexXxos XT45 Industry HPC Series X-Flow 360mm radiator $125.99

With a $40 difference between them I can't for the life of me understand what that "Pressure tested Industry HPC Radiator Up to 8 Bar (115 PSI) for demanding or industrial applications!" It looks like they're both copper so I don't see any difference @.@.

TL;DR
Summary of questions:
1. How bad is it to switch over to Cross-Flow from Standard-Flow RAD?
2. How THIC of a RAD should I use 60mm (push) / 45mm / 30mm (push/pull)?
3. Alphacool RAD Full Copper or Industry HPC?
4. Suggestions / Recommendations / Opinions will be much appreciated!

I know it's not much but I'll giveaway my AX360mm RAD and ships free (+6pcs - 7/16 ID 5/8 OD compression fittings) shipped free to the best answerer ^_^

Ok0vP0lm.jpg

Why don't you just install it on the bottom of your case supports 360mm? - The clearance below the case is not very good as the motherboard is 1mm to touching the bottom floor - The best I could do is install 3 x 120mm Intake fans which sit directly next to the motherboard blocking some PCI-E / PCI slots and all of the USB Front I/O Pins are covered. If I were to use mATX motherboard it may be possible but I'm not even thinking about replacing my mobo/cpu at the moment.

SircQO4m.jpg

Last edited:
On cross flow vs reg . according to this guy Dazmode.com ( who I buy my parts from in canada and has a bunch of good reviews)
It makes less than 1 deg difference in cooling the cpu .
I have a cross flow and love how it helped with my loop . I might even replace my 3x120 (normal ) that Ihave for a cross flow just so that it makes the runs better (tubing).

On cross flow vs reg . according to this guy Dazmode.com ( who I buy my parts from in canada and has a bunch of good reviews)
It makes less than 1 deg difference in cooling the cpu .
I have a cross flow and love how it helped with my loop . I might even replace my 3x120 (normal ) that Ihave for a cross flow just so that it makes the runs better (tubing).

OMG thank you for the support. I'm watching the video now. Yes I really like the idea/solutions of a cross-flow. It makes looping easier.

What will you be cooling ? Please make a sig of what you will be cooling .

2. How THIC of a RAD should I use 60mm (push) / 45mm / 30mm (push/pull)? Depends what are your goals ? max cooling ? or total silence ? or some where inbetween ? More Rads beat thicker less rads . Some times Thick rads need faster fan speeds because it is thick .
3. Alphacool RAD Full Copper or Industry HPC? Once you go mid range water cooling the difference from the Best most expensive rad to the mid grade is @ max 2-5c .
4. Suggestions / Recommendations / Opinions will be much appreciated! I love having 2 rads , I kinda want to add two new 140x1 rads to my loop . (Even though it is a total waste right now I have 5x120mm of rads cooling just my 4670k)
Sugguestion is take your time , Look for ppl who have tryed the exact parts (if you are still unsure after doing research) .
Ask questions like you have its the best way to learn .

What will you be cooling ? Please make a sig of what you will be cooling .

2. How THIC of a RAD should I use 60mm (push) / 45mm / 30mm (push/pull)? Depends what are your goals ? max cooling ? or total silence ? or some where inbetween ? More Rads beat thicker less rads . Some times Thick rads need faster fan speeds because it is thick .
3. Alphacool RAD Full Copper or Industry HPC? Once you go mid range water cooling the difference from the Best most expensive rad to the mid grade is @ max 2-5c .
4. Suggestions / Recommendations / Opinions will be much appreciated! I love having 2 rads , I kinda want to add two new 140x1 rads to my loop . (Even though it is a total waste right now I have 5x120mm of rads cooling just my 4670k)
Sugguestion is take your time , Look for ppl who have tryed the exact parts (if you are still unsure after doing research) .
Ask questions like you have its the best way to learn .

Hi, yes I added a sig with my specs but I just recently joined am new to this forum.

Here are the specs:

i7-6700K @4.5GHz | Asus GTX 1080 Ti 11GB POSEIDON Hybrid | Asus Z170-DELUXE |
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4-3000 |
Corsair HX850i 80+ Platinum | In Win 303 Tempered Glass White | XSPC D5 AX360
Custom Liquid Cooling Loop | Samsung KS8000 Quantum Dot 49" SUHD |

I have 3 cross flow alphacool rads in my closet only cause they are to thick for my current rig. But I have absolutely no complaints against them they were great and helped the tubing runs look a lot tidier.

I have 3 cross flow alphacool rads in my closet only cause they are to thick for my current rig. But I have absolutely no complaints against them they were great and helped the tubing runs look a lot tidier.

Are they thicker than 60mm by any chance?

Back