• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cool n quiet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
seems if i disable 2 of the 4 cores, cool n quiet no longer works. i dont get the usual processor options in the OS power settings.

should it work this way?

I suspect the effects you are experiencing are normal when disabling cores. We know for a fact, for example, that when you activate hidden cores you lose the ability to monitor the core temp in Windows monitoring utilities. When you start messing with that bios core function it seems to result in losing some other functions.

so you think it's a big deal to leave it disabled? i mean the only downside i see is my temps go up 2 degrees. seems harmless enough.

also any windows programs out there that will scale cpu clock and voltages?

You write >> so you think it's a big deal to leave it disabled? i mean the only downside i see is my temps go up 2 degrees. seems harmless enough.

Reply >> It will probably not make much difference one way or the other since CNQ actually only works mostly at idle on that cpu.

You write >> also any windows programs out there that will scale cpu clock and voltages?

Reply >> Do a g00gle search since that is an Nvidia chipset motherboard and AMD developed software only works with AMD chipset motherboard. Check your motherboard website. Maybe they have something.
RGone...

Yea rgone I want it to scale back the CPU clock and voltages when at idle.

I looked around for some windows utilities and found ones like rmclock and crystalcpuid but they only work if cool n quiet is working.

Yea rgone I want it to scale back the CPU clock and voltages when at idle.

I looked around for some windows utilities and found ones like rmclock and crystalcpuid but they only work if cool n quiet is working.

Did you check your motherboard's website like RGone suggested?

seems if i disable 2 of the 4 cores, cool n quiet no longer works. i dont get the usual processor options in the OS power settings.

should it work this way?

When you disable 2 of 4 cores, you've cut the cpu's power usage right in half.

So if it's a 95w TDP Cpu, it's now 47.5w with only 2 cores running. You don't need cool and quiet at that point.

When you disable 2 of 4 cores, you've cut the cpu's power usage right in half.

So if it's a 95w TDP Cpu, it's now 47.5w with only 2 cores running. You don't need cool and quiet at that point.

Yes I guess that makes sense. I thought it would still be cool to be able to lower the clock cycles and vcore further at idle. My vcore is only at 1.34 at 4.0Ghz so I guess that's not so high where I need to worry about it.

edit: should i see about 47w on HWmonitor? still shows 95w

Last edited:
Back