• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler for 6300?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC-Ghz

Registered
I need to know if the 6300:

1.has any cooling issues
2.If im going to overclock do i need to water cool?
3.Any certain mobo i should get for this certain processor?

I need to know if the 6300:

1.has any cooling issues
2.If im going to overclock do i need to water cool?
3.Any certain mobo i should get for this certain processor?

1) no more then other FX vishira chips. which means it will run rather hot
2) no... a good air-cooler should be alright unless you're going to get into extreme overclocking. I just suggest you get something more then the stock cooler... as it seems that isn't enough for the CPU.
3) get anything with a 990 in the product name. Generally the favorite around these parts seems to be the gigabyte fx990-ud3/5/7... though I'm sure you''ll find a million opinions on this one.

ok 1 more thing how many watts is a good amount for this processor i know AMD can be power hogs

They will throw some heat when you overclock them but the Piledrivers are much improved over the Bulldozers. Check out the second chart on this page. The shorter bar is stock speed and the longer bar is the overclocked draw of the 8 core. So the 6300 with two less cores is going to be quite reasonable. I know power draw isn't directly related to heat but it's safe to assume there are no huge efficiency losses with the much improved Piledriver.

You'll only need to water cool if you are really going hard on the OC...but that's how it is for every processor. I'd certainly recommend some good air cooling if you are going to aim above 4.5Ghz, but you can probably get away with a Hyper 212 under 4.5Ghz. That's an approximation, I haven't picked one up yet.

As always, if you are going to overclock you should get a motherboard built with it in mind. I'm not talking about a motherboard where the BIOS has overclocking options though. I see a lot of people buying $50-$100 motherboards and aiming for the moon...you'd really be better off in the ~$130 price range. Stuff like the 990FXA-UD3 from Gigabyte or the M5A99X Evo from ASUS.

OC-Ghz if you really want to make sure you have the right motherboard to OC with just take a look at this list! Its a list of Mobo's with the right Power Phases that will carry the power you need to OC your CPU. What you are looking for are 8+2 boards that will OC and do the job properly. ;)

1, http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database#post_12462681 :thup:

Let me help you by giving you a example, Asrock 990 fx extreme 4 Mobo!

2, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157266

Just read about the high quality caps and power delivery on this Mobo that's what you are looking for! :thup:

3, http://www.techspot.com/products/cooling/

Just read the reviews for a cooler that will fit your CPU and Case!

Last edited:
Oh well just for real...

Opinions are like noses in that most everyone has a nose. There are motherboards that many just settle for. That is okay until it comes time to push a later BD/PD cpu. And there are a number of peeps buying the older BD since it is cheaper. That old money thing. No longer with my 'good' job...well I know about money too. But the price difference between a good mobo and an also-ran is only about $75 Usd. Yes in some places around the world, that $75 might seem a small fortune. I can do nothing about that.

What I can illustrate is what those that could likely use ANY brand or model of mother board ARE using to set records and really overclock.

Yes again in understand 'coins' and the consideration thereof, but there are far too too many joe six packs coming in this forum section that are woefully under manned to overclock reliably day in and day out.

Then they begin an overclocking journey and come head-on up against their cheapie mobo. Bought with price as the hinge-point. Many now buy another motherboard that will overclock well and reliably. That is never the cheapest way to do any sort of business. In fact businesses love that type of buyer. They get to you twice.

I would suggest that the actual 'base' of any system is a good clean power producing power supply and then the motherboard and all that housed in a very well cooled case. So as an example of a motherboard, I will post a graphic image below. Keep in mind that there are a LOT of later AM3+, AMD motherboards shown but there is one that is represented quite a bit more than others.

Glad I used such information in my choice since I actually could not afford to buy too cheap and then have to try and get something that I could use with a later FX- 8core cpu and push that cpu.

Attachments

• Fully Combined Mobos.jpg
    Fully Combined Mobos.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 153
Thanks RGone you really know your AMD like the back of your hand, if any OP is looking in this Section! Then look at the list and write them boards down, because its going to save you a lot of hassle. When you come to Overclocking later on and on that note as well, that's why i have been saying the same. As for the short time i have been here i have seen plenty try to OC there set up and fail, because the Mobo power phases is not up to the job. AJ. ;) :thup:

p.s. Listen to RGone he knows what he's talking about! :)

Ajay57, I have seen your posts and I saw what you had posted above. I just wanted to give some emphasis to what you said and in a picture since most don't seem to read.

I posted a graph in ssjwizard's thread to help show what he was saying about not needing to push BD beyond about 4.3Ghz since that processor has basically flat-lined adding performance after that.

I have a number of forum members in the background in this forum section that I can hear 'their' ideas and findings, so we are not forever REinventing the wheel.

Good work Ajay57.

RGone...ster.

The 6300 is cooler than the others. Will do 4.5 @ 1.425 V NB is a waste doesnt do much on these, I have the Xigamatec Aegir it is one of the better air coolers, has no probs with this chip.

Run in push pull, have a thermally controlled fan on output, as the air heats up it spins faster,saves trying to find another fan controller port.

Back