• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler for i7 920 / R2Extr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asusguy

Registered
Hello,

I've been looking for a decent cooler for my main system for awhile now. I narrowed it down to either thermalright macho or thermalright true spirit (140). I know those are not the best air coolers, but they are the best for the money i can afford right now (50 euro and under).

My system is the following
i7 920 (d0) - currently running at 3.5GH with the stock cooler
Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
3x2 Corsair Dominator Ram (3 dimms of 2gb.. 6gb in total)
Carbide Air 540 Case

I have 2 questions for you guys
1: Which cooler should i choose? I am under the impression that the true spirit 140 is a little bit better?
2: Will the cooler be covering my memory ram slots? Will i face a problem there?

Thank you very much.

TS140 is very good.
But TRUE Spirit 140 Power is better. It is prettier all plated with black top and more importantly has 8mm heatpipes instead of 6mm like others have.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745385

It performs as good as NH-D14 SE2011 3c better than TS140BW and is quieter. And is similar price to TRUE Spirit 140 too.
2qx51zd_zps9a1ec682.jpg 24awyts_zps76c0db2f.jpg

As for memory slots, depends on how close to CPU they are. True Spirit 140 Power measures 27mm from front to center of CPU. Add 26mm for fan and it's 52mm.

Do you have 52mm from center of CPU to RAM?
How tall is your RAM?

I would get a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. Used they're $30 or less on ebay (example, not mine, don't know the seller, your mileage may vary, void where prohibited by law, etc.), you're not going to beat that in bang for buck.

Kinda hard to tell anything looking down on top of it. Looks black with teeth on top. :D

What Bob said. TRUE Ultra is a very good cooler. It's not quite as good as TRUE Spirit 140 Power but not that far behind.. and is also smaller.

these are my ram sticks

41bXF8ds-%2BL._SY300_.jpg

Yes they are kinda tall i guess, they are corsair dominator so..

Btw, there is no thermalright ultra or thermalright true spirit extreme. There is only thermalright true spirit 90-120-140 in my country.

Yes, Dominator is quite tall.

What is the measurement from middle of cooler fan to R?AM? Is it more than 53mm

From the center of my cooler to the right until my first memory ram it's about 72MM. Here is the picture again:

9Hm32vy.jpg

So what does this mean?

Than you have 20mm extra with a TRUE Spirit 140

From center of CPU to PCI-E slot is only other possible problem. Sorry, should have asked for that measurement too.

Good. Obviously you are not using the top PCI slot so no problem

Im using the GPU on the first pci slot.. My motherboard is E-ATX as far as i know, i think it's larger than regular size.. It's the asus rampage 2 extreme, i kinda overpaid for it like 300 euro or something 5 years ago lol. That might be the case :bang head

It's a good motherboard. No reason to beat your hed against the wall. :D
ATX form factor is for up to 7 slots as your case does. Rampage II Extreme has 6 PCI slots with top PCI-E x16 in 3rd case PCI slot opening.

So there wont be any problem at all with the true spirit 140 right?

Back