• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooler master masterliquid lite 120 or 212x for overclocking i5 2500k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bennykyu

hi recently i had a chance to get old legend i5 2500k from my relative, and i know that k series processor is overclockable. i am very new to pc word, and i would like to overclock it. through the research it sad that cooler master 212x can overclock the 2500k to 4.5ghz with no issue. but my case is k350 which state that it can not fit in the 212x, although i saw some thread said that he can fit it in. now i wonder will the cooler master masterliquid lite 120 works equally as the 212x? can i use that to boost my 2500k to 4.5ghz? and will it be noise as seidon 120mm v3?

Generally speaking a 120mm AIO is not recommended for overclocking. They lack the surface area to properly cool an overcooked CPU. I would venture to guess the 212x would cool better. But that cooler will not fit in your k350 case.

Options: If you want to limit you cost into this older build look at the Noctua NH-U9S or NH-D9L coolers. Both are low profile (under 130mm) and are effective at 140W. This will be your most cost effect route to OC that legendary 2500k. (Wish I had one)

If you're will to invest a couple hundos into this rig the I would look into a newer, more capable case. You don't need to go balls out and you can get decent quality for about $80. Look into cooler master & Rosewill. This will allow you to really open up you cooling options. The noctuas NH-D15, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, or Corsair Hydro h100i AIO (140mm x2) coolers come to mind.

Your case is almost 8" wide, I'd bet the CM 212X will fit. If not there are other heatsinks as per Blaylocks suggestion that will. The 2500k is a pretty simple chip to oc. Have a look at our guide.

ty for the advise, after receive ur reply, i go and search for a cheap 212x in my local store, but then the seller they dont sell 212x anymore they replace it with a higher 212 led turbo or 412slim as a replacement of 212x. they are 2cm taller and i afraid that my case really cant fix it because i test to fit V8 old edition which is 161.1cm tall but fail. the 212 led turbo and 412 slim both are 160mm so i didnt choose them

Generally speaking a 120mm AIO is not recommended for overclocking. They lack the surface area to properly cool an overcooked CPU. I would venture to guess the 212x would cool better. But that cooler will not fit in your k350 case.

Options: If you want to limit you cost into this older build look at the Noctua NH-U9S or NH-D9L coolers. Both are low profile (under 130mm) and are effective at 140W. This will be your most cost effect route to OC that legendary 2500k. (Wish I had one)

If you're will to invest a couple hundos into this rig the I would look into a newer, more capable case. You don't need to go balls out and you can get decent quality for about $80. Look into cooler master & Rosewill. This will allow you to really open up you cooling options. The noctuas NH-D15, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, or Corsair Hydro h100i AIO (140mm x2) coolers come to mind.

ty for the detail suggestion. i have a limited budget for the upgrade. after ur suggestion, i had look and find nh-u9s and nh-d9l at my local it hypermarket. however they are pretty expensive, RM 400++ which same price as changing a larger case and purchase 212led turbo in my area. however pls suggest more to me in the below, it really appreciate to me

- - - Updated - - -

There is another alternative.
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-maker-92/

I'm actually running this on my 6700K @ 4.8 right now. My 212 EVO doesn't cool it any better even with more fan.

ty for suggestion, however my local store selling them at twice of the price of masterliquid lite, which i cant afford now

- - - Updated - - -

^Nice one!

Maybe one of those cooler would do:
Noctua NH-L12 or NH-C14. Both do a ggod job, especially the NH-C14 (more expensive though).

NG-C12 review: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4677/noctua_nh_l12_low_profile_cpu_cooler_review/index7.html
NH-C14 review: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7284/noctua-nh-c14s-style-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

ty for suggestion! i was also notice them at the website, they both surely and fit my case and perform well, however the local stores dont sell them.

guys i really appreciate that u guys give me a lot of suggestion, but pls give me more coz i still dont know am i doing it correctly

after survey on the local store, finding the CPU cooler u all suggested, and from this video,

he claims that masterliquid lite 120mm will out performance compare to 212 evo, and in my local store, it is only cost RM35 more, and it will surely fit my case so i think y dont give it a chance, and i bought it.

after i installed it, follow the guide that Mandrake4565 give me, my chip gains a 86 average temp under stress test prime95, which scare me out, sometime it reach 89 after the prime95 starting a new test. but i live in malaysia, the country where its temp stay in 32 consistently at day, 29 at night, 27 will be the coolest temp in my country and rarely happen. I think this is the main reason of my temp goes higher compare to reviews.

right after the temp reach 89, i immediately reduce the voltage to 1.3 but it gains blue screen right after the window boosted.
now my chip running at 1.32v, it stays alive 5 hours under the prime95 test and the highest temp was shown below. this is the max temp under prime95 test in the mean time writing reply to u all. before i use the pc, the temp was stay in 79. Sometime it reaches 86.
Untitled.png

One thing I don’t understand is although my cpu voltage set at 1.32v, the vcore show a 1.33 max 1.36v, y it changing itself?

i think that the temp now is still in dangerous area, what can i do to better the performance of my cooler?adding one more fan to radiator to a push pull configuration will cool down the chip more? or changing the noctua thermal compound will do better? i have a choice to return back the masterliquid lite 120mm and add more budget to purchase a better cooler, however there still have limitation on what i can exchange or buy from shop right now. the list is at below and please suggest me
the shop only have one noctua nh-d14 which don’t fit in my case.

budget solution
3. Seidon 120 V3 Plus
4. Frostow 120L

Premium solution (will cost RM250++ )
5. Core Frozr CPU Cooler (L)
1. MasterLiquid Pro 120
2. Nepton 120XL

you can run dang near 5ghz on the 212+ i ran it at 4.9 for quite some time even folding on the cpu the entire time.

You're good with 80'ish degrees on this CPU. I would not be concerned up to 95c. As you use quite a low voltage (my 2600k's were [email protected]/1.45v 24/7 with Rosetta for a more than year without any sign of degradation).

Voltage variation is normal.

No 120 AIO will do much better than what you currently use. So, either you go for a big 240/280 AIO or a NH-D14/15 and need to change case, which will cost you quite a lot of money for a mere 200MHz extra (you will be able to hit 4.7GHz/1.45v). Not worth it IMHO.

Save some and grab a new platform when you have the cash. Both AMD and INtel have very nice stuff at an affordable oprice (especially Ryzen 5 + B350 Mobo).

- - - Updated - - -

you can run dang near 5ghz on the 212+ i ran it at 4.9 for quite some time even folding on the cpu the entire time.

OP did not win the silicon lottery with his CPU: 1.35v for 4.5GHz is far from golden...

Back