• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master Seidon 240M, losing performance over time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xrror

So yea the Cooler Master Seidon 240M I have on an old 1366 rig seems to be either be losing performance (or the rig is somehow running way hotter).

I've unmounted and cleaned everything, re-mounted the pump/block and blown out the radiator but I'm still getting 95C+ temps when used to be able to hold upper 70's.
Was just wondering if anyone else has had this.

I guess maybe the pump might be getting tired (this machine is has been on pretty much 24/7 since the Seidon installed maybe 4+ years ago?) but don't they usually just die then?
I'd almost be tempted to try and do a coolant change, but ... you know AIO.

I know the answer is probably to just get another AIO, but was wondering if anyone had tried messing with older units like this that still work.

Pump still working? Any noise and or vibration coming from it?

Tubing, Rad and block feel warm during operation?

There is still vibration and and what I think is pump noise (it's hard to tell from the fans). The tubing and rad are a bit warm, but to me don't seem warm enough for a processor temp of 95C.

What I might do, is turn off the rad fans (briefly!) and see how that impacts temps. The theory being that if it takes a "while" for temps to increase maybe flow is weak. At these temps it should be pretty fast.

I already panic ordered a cheap MasterLiquid Lite 240 for $60 - probably not the best but hopefully better than nothing. The case doesn't really have room for a good air HSF.

Also thanks.

Sure thing. :salute:

It's possible that your voltages might have spiked and your original AIO is working but we'll just have to see.

Keep us up to speed once you get that new cooler in.

So yea the Cooler Master Seidon 240M I have on an old 1366 rig seems to be either be losing performance (or the rig is somehow running way hotter).

I've unmounted and cleaned everything, re-mounted the pump/block and blown out the radiator but I'm still getting 95C+ temps when used to be able to hold upper 70's.
Was just wondering if anyone else has had this.

I guess maybe the pump might be getting tired (this machine is has been on pretty much 24/7 since the Seidon installed maybe 4+ years ago?) but don't they usually just die then?
I'd almost be tempted to try and do a coolant change, but ... you know AIO.

I know the answer is probably to just get another AIO, but was wondering if anyone had tried messing with older units like this that still work.

I had the same problem from a Corsair H50 (3yrs Old) and a ECO CoolIt (2 1/2yrs Old). Basically the coolant evaporated over time and there is no way to refill them:( I home Modded a small Rubber-Maid container to become a Res (Drilled holes and put a 1/4" Barb from Lowes in the side of it). I installed new tubing and they still work today 7+yrs later. :thup:

Probably coolant evap over time as MadMutt said, you're probably wondering how that could happen with a sealed system that isn't leaking but it does happen over time.

Which leads to lower coolant volume and increased pump heat.

The same exact thing will happen to solder sealed heat pipe air coolers over time the liquid inside the tubes eventually is just gone and if you cut them open they are bone dry.

Usually takes about 3 or 4 years for this to happen but if the seals are compromised it will happen much sooner, but usually never before the warranty has expired.

That's what's really good about a custom loop even though they cost more, you can monitor coolant loss in the reservoir and retop it off.

No offence intended, a cheap AIO cooler really isn't actually water cooling, it's just a more expensive air cooler.

I had the same problem from a Corsair H50 (3yrs Old) and a ECO CoolIt (2 1/2yrs Old). Basically the coolant evaporated over time and there is no way to refill them:( I home Modded a small Rubber-Maid container to become a Res (Drilled holes and put a 1/4" Barb from Lowes in the side of it). I installed new tubing and they still work today 7+yrs later. :thup:

Now that's how to get things done!

Thanks for the input guys. I finally got the 'ol Seildon swapped out and temps are back to "normal."

This Seildon is old enough it actually looks like it has a factory fill port (not actually intended for end-user tampering) which at least gives me a convenient place to tap into it and attempt to fill (as long as I keep metal shavings out).

I'm tempted to do it just to see if it helps. Even if it doesn't or I break it, nothing lost - so I might as well play with it and learn something.

I actually used to run custom loops back in the 754 days and it was fun, but since I was always tinkering with it nothing was ever mounted to a case (rad, pump, rez just floating about - sticking out the side whatevs) which got old when going to LAN parties (yea, it's been a long time ago).

Plus my hardware rotation stagnated (1366 rigs natch) so short of sub-ambient cooling I wasn't going to get any more speed from my rigs even if I was only 5C cooler so I kinda just stopped.

What was that saying? "good enough is the enemy of..." lol i don't remember but AIO's at that point (5 years ago) and good 2 tower heatsinks (Noctura) were good enough for my old junk rigs.

Back