• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master V6GT on 2500k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mpooyan83

I did a search, couldnt really find a thread with good details about this combo.
If i missed it please link :)

This is the first system that i am OCing. Just wanna make sure that i am getting good temp for the V6GT. Using Coretemp to Monitor and Intelburn to stress test, under the MAX stress using 14+ GB of the 16gb of ram installed the temp hit 78C. This is overclocked to 4.3ghz.
Is this normal? I was kinda assuming/hoping that the temps with a load would not exceed mid 60s.

Could be not getting good enough airflow thru the case. 78c seems a bit high for a 2500k @ that speed. The Cooler Master V6GT is a decent sink.

Those temps are definitively too high! What kind of case do you have? Also, what voltage are you running that 2500K on?
If the vCore is set to high the temps will rise quickly.

Im not sure how to get the voltage setting without going into the Bios, Im working now, cant go there, will get that infor later.
But, the case i am Using is a Full tower Roswill Thor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053

Big fan in front, Side, rear and top. the airflow seems to be pretty good.

Also, Im not sure whether it was a mistake not to use Arctic Silver paste. I used this stuff instead:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0282371

If you know a way to get the vcore setting without going into the Bios please lemme know.

I used the multiplier in the Bios, set to X43. which took it to 4.3ghz, I didnt change anything else.

------------------------------

Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, i5 2500k, Cooler Master v6GT, Zotac Nvidia 560 ti 448, 16GB Corsais XMS3 DDR3 1600. 850Watt Lepa Power supply, Rosewill Thor Full tower case.

Last edited:
the regular Vcore is set to 1.325, Turbo mode is set to Auto.

I think the thermal paste needed some time to set or something. I just did another intel burn test with Max memory, been going for about 10 mins now Max Temp so far is Core#2 at 67C. so its gotten better.

Under full load, CPUZ is showing Core voltage at 1.272 v
Core temp has something called VID at 1.376 v, i think thats the vcore.
do you think 65C is too much still?
and your opinion on the thermal paste i used would be much appreciated.

I have no personal experience with that thermal paste, but the difference between these types of thermal pastes is kinda overrated. Changing the thermal paste might give you a 1C drop in the temps.
As for the actual temps, 65C is definitely better than the previous 78C, but still I think we can improve the temps somewhat more. With a Corsair A70, my core temps stayed in the low 50s on my 2500K. And there should not be that mutch of a difference between that and the V6GT. But these things tend to vary a bit, what is your room temp during these tests?

I am running the V6GT and my temps never exceeded 33-38c on 4.3ghz and I have a 2500k too. What other fans you running in your case? What are room temps? I think thermal paste has alot to do with it I noticed a big drop when I switched to Arctic Silver. Its a proven fact that it works. But there are many variables also.

Specopspc: Well, if you haven't used prime 95 or an equivalent stability test, I suggest you download prime 95, let it run for 10 minutes on the small fft's option and then let us know what your real load temps are so we can compare it to mpooyan's temps ;)

Specopspc: Well, if you haven't used prime 95 or an equivalent stability test, I suggest you download prime 95, let it run for 10 minutes on the small fft's option and then let us know what your real load temps are so we can compare it to mpooyan's temps ;)

Hope this helps I clicked on 1st box in prime ran it for like 11 min but never stopped. Is it suppose to stop on its own? I ended it after 12 min reported 18 tests in 12 min no warnings or error's:shrug:.

2.jpg
6.jpg

?
Prime95 is a stability test, not an OC tool (well, kindof).

I understand; I just didn't see the need to since I am letting the "Auto" in the Bios do the OC'ing.

Submitted :thup: ;)

Excellent! Now you can clearly see that prime 95 really puts an immense load on the cpu :D However, generally what matters is the core temps, download something like hw monitor and check your core temps after 10 min of prime. With a 2500K you would also see that there can be quite a difference in temps between the individual cores too, so if you report back with the hottest of the four cores that would be excellent ;) That way, we could compare the two temps and see if there is potentially something wrong. I would also love to get other opinions on the thermal paste :)

Auto OC is a very bad feature. It usually overvoltages the CPU too much and makes it run hotter. Waaay hotter.

12 minutes ain't nothing for Prime95. It starts getting "hard" at 8 hours or so. Recommended 12 hours (one loop) of Prime95.

Definitely agree with both of you! The auto oc likes to have a little wiggle-room, when it comes to the voltage, and by a little I mean truly an immense amount!! Actually I love to combine mild overclocking with undervolting :D. As for how long you should run prime, 12 minutes is plenty IF you are checking the temps and nothing else. If you are using prime 95 for actual stability testing I totally agree with txus.palacios :)

Definitely agree with both of you! The auto oc likes to have a little wiggle-room, when it comes to the voltage, and by a little I mean truly an immense amount!! Actually I love to combine mild overclocking with undervolting :D. As for how long you should run prime, 12 minutes is plenty IF you are checking the temps and nothing else. If you are using prime 95 for actual stability testing I totally agree with txus.palacios :)

Not to kill the OP's thread but i don't really oc until I work on editing or play some minor small games. Never really had a need for prime but I think I will go into manual settings and play with some things see what happens.:thup:

Back