• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler "problem"...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TomOC

Registered
Hi guys,
This is my first post on this forum :D!
This is the scenario: I'm upgrading my cpu and mobo from the current P8H67 mobo and i7 2600(yep, only a while ago I found out about the fact that the 2600 non K can't be overclocked... :bang head ) to the new P8P67 and i7 2600k.
I plan on overclocking to at least 4.6 ghz...I have put my eyes on the Corsair H50 cooler...the problem is that my hardware store here in Central Italy can't get this cooler because the supplier of this particular cooler is closed until the 18 :-/ ...
So the "guy" at the hardware store proposed other coolers:
AVC Black Samurai fan cooler*
Grand Kama Cross *
Kama Angle B * ...
Are these coolers good enough?
I could always order the H50 myself...
What should I do? Go for one of the coolers mentioned above, or go for the Corsair H50?
Thanks

Are there any Thermalright products available in your area? If so, go that route instead of an H50, which is rather easily beaten in performance by high end air.

As for those 3 you mentioned, none of them float my boat for being tier 1 coolers. Mind you, I haven't tested them, but I just don't see them being in the same league as a product from Prolimatech, Thermalright or Noctua in performance.

A...
Ok, I might be able to get either the Thermalright or noctua coolers...I found the HR-02 by thermalright and the THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME HEATSINK are they ok?( keeping in mind that I don't want to spend more than 65-70 € on cooler )
Just for curiosity, what speed can I hope to reach with, the h50, a Noctua or Thermalright cooler?

Last edited:
Either of those Thermalright coolers will do well on your 2600k. In testing, I found both to be able to easily handle an i7 930 @ 4 GHz, which outputs much more heat than a 2600k. And the HR02 was able to do so without any fan on the heatsink at all, just depending upon case ventilation for air movement around it. The HR02 is a massive beast though and expensive. I personally would go with the TRUE (Ultra 120 extreme) with some quietish fans if it's not an RT (retail) model that comes with the fan.

As for an H50 on your 2600k, you could probably get around a 4.4-4.5 overclock with it, but your temps would be much higher. If you want to go the low cost liquid cooling route, you would be better of going with the H70 instead of the H50 performance wise. But the H70 is also significantly more expensive than high end air too. Another prime choice to look at is the Noctua NH-D14, but it's also a massive heatsink too and if your ram has tall heatspreaders you might have interference with the first ram slot and the intake fan. That can be worked around though by either offsetting the fan or changing the fan layout.

oook....
one more question:
Between the H70 and noctua/thermalright coolers, which one would you get?

The Noctua or Thermalright coolers, since they are cheaper and provide the same cooling ability. Of course that also depends on the case you have too. If you are running in a narrow case that won't readily accept a full sized tower heatsink such as the TR and Nocuta offerings, the H70 (or H80) would be a great alternative if the extra cost doesn't bother you.

Go with either the TRUE(Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme) or Noctua D-14 They will last forever and will never leak on you.. and cost less. And the cooling difference between them and the H70 is negligible to say the least.

ok,
I'll be going to Australia in mid-August and probably buy a Noctua NH-D14 there...
As for the case, yes it is narrow but i've opened it on one side...so I shouldn't have many problems...
What speed can I hope to reach with this cooler?
Thanks again!!!!

hehe ;) ...
But, usually what can i be getting? ( I don't know if it's important, but where my computer is, it's "coldish"... :| ) Can I be expecting 4.5 ( or more ) in a "normal" scenario?
thanks again!

ok thanks!
One question though, my CPU socket is the LGA 1155...I see that the Noctua NH-D14 supports other socktes, one of which is the 1156...is this a problem?

Nope, 1156 and 1155 share the same mounting pattern. It's just that Intel screwed everyone by obsoleting 1156 after having it out for just a little over a year when they changed up SB and tied all the bus speeds into 1 common clock cycle. :mad: Intel has done this before too, remember socket 423, which only lasted about a year before they came out with socket 478.

oh ok then... thanks!
It looks like it's gonna be a Noctua NH-D14 for me!
4.5 ghz, here I come!!!!!! :D

The Noctua should be a good choice and it'll run quiet.
You can use up to 3 fans with it for more performance, although 2 should do it.

Either of those Thermalright coolers will do well on your 2600k. In testing, I found both to be able to easily handle an i7 930 @ 4 GHz, which outputs much more heat than a 2600k. And the HR02 was able to do so without any fan on the heatsink at all, just depending upon case ventilation for air movement around it.
Coming from a TRUE, the HR02 you sold me is an absolute monster with low-flow fans. With the TRUE I had to run dual 38mm fans to get comparable performance withe the HR-02 and a single 38mm. It's nice being able to leave the SD on 5-7V and basically forgetting that it exists. Also Thermalright's new mounting setup is great compared to their older 775 mounts.

The Noctua should be comparable given the size & similar fin spacing. Make sure you don't have tall RAMsinks (ie: Corsair Vengeance) as the D-14 may block them.

Back