• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mitukczuk

Greetings!

So I have CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO HSF on my CPU (sig). The HS fan is pointed at my rear case 120mm fan so it almost forms a push/pull config. Other fans are front-bottom 120mm intake fan and 80mm fan on side panel blowing some air on my graphics card. This one will be soon switched for 120mm fan.

My idle temps on 3,8Ghz/1.425vcore are 35C, full load are 50C maximum (6 hours of Prime blend), so there is no problem there I am not trying to solve any OC overheating.

I have read many articles about 212 EVO and it seems to me that mine is somehow underperforming. People are yet to hit 40 degs on OC'd thubans for instance. I tried to reseat the heatsink, re-apply the thermal paste but nothing works.
My question is, are my temps normal/average? Am I missing something? Would a full blown push/pull config on my CPU cooler help?

Thanks for any advice ;-)

I haven't tested the EVO yet myself, so I can't tell for sure if that's the best you can expect out of it. But, you aren't going to gain a whole bunch by adding a second fan to the heatsink; maybe another 1-2 C of extra performance (at least it was like that on the 212+). You could also have a hot running 965BE too. I have heard of some of those Denebs being hot running little puppies, just like I've heard of some Intel procs being hotter running too.

I do plan to test and review the EVO soon (bought 1 this week and it came in yesterday) and I will be testing with various fan combinations on it, in case you are thinking of trying different fans later. I did take it out and look at the base of mine and I am impressed with the job they did with it at first glance. I haven't put a straight edge to it, but by eye the base looks flat and they are the first company I have seen that has totally removed the spaces between the heatpipes, which should give better and more even heat transfer from the IHS.

I have the older 212+ a good little cooler for the money. I have red the EVO is better by a few degree. Though it seems a little unrealistic to have an air cooler be able to keep anything other then a mild overclock under 40. Furthermore, every cpu is different aswell as ones cases. I noticed a 5 deg difference on my overclocked 955 by just changing the case. So if you have tried re seating the cooler your temps are probably accurate to your system. I did notice a 1-2 deg difference when i added a second fan to the 212 in push pull.

Its not that I am unhappy with it...not at all. My old Arctic Freezer 13 was running 62C on 100% load stock and 40-42C idle. Since then I put my system into a new case (sig) and put the above mentioned EVO on the cpu and the result was to my eyes astonishing. Having the cpu now at 3.8Ghz/1.425vcore stable and barely hitting 50C while blend testing.

It's just that I have read some replies here on forum and some people seem to have better results.

I'll definitely read your review muddock!

BTW, you can't find the exact matching fan for sale as the one that comes with the heatsink to add to it as a pull fan. I looked all over last night myself. It's not the Blademaster that comes with the 212+, but another new series called the XtraFlo 120 (R4-XFBS-20PK-R1). I am seeing if I can get Cooler Master to send me a second fan of that series for my testing so that I can see what kind of gains are to be had by adding a second fan to the heatsink when sticking to their stock fans.

BTW, you can't find the exact matching fan for sale as the one that comes with the heatsink to add to it as a pull fan. I looked all over last night myself. It's not the Blademaster that comes with the 212+, but another new series called the XtraFlo 120 (R4-XFBS-20PK-R1). I am seeing if I can get Cooler Master to send me a second fan of that series for my testing so that I can see what kind of gains are to be had by adding a second fan to the heatsink when sticking to their stock fans.

Yep, I have already noticed that. Bit of a dissapointment but whatever. I think that rather than looking for a push/pull config, I'll try to improve the overall air management of my case. Maybe an additional exhaust fan on top.

Mitukczuk, where are you keeping the case, IE under a desk, in a cabinet etc? Try taking the cabinet door off and see what your temps are. If they drop you will benefit by improving your case flow. Also from personal experience I moved my case out of the compartment in my desk that i thought had enough air flow through it to under my desk and noticed an improvement.

Mitukczuk, where are you keeping the case, IE under a desk, in a cabinet etc? Try taking the cabinet door off and see what your temps are. If they drop you will benefit by improving your case flow. Also from personal experience I moved my case out of the compartment in my desk that i thought had enough air flow through it to under my desk and noticed an improvement.

I have the case right next to me, around 5 cm from the ground. No cabinet, not under the table or smth like that. All fans have plenty room from which to get the air so that's not a problem.
This is where my fans are. The White/blue one is the side panel intake one. Red is the cpu heatsink pull.

Attachments

• 12729968722.jpg
    12729968722.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,245
Pull the side door off and see if the temps drop. if so you will benefit from putting some more and/or better fans in the case.

Nah, nothing happened. Maybe it really is the CPU. I'll wait for the EVO review I guess. To see how it performs.

Your temps look perfectly in line with 1.425v (which seems a tad high for 3.8GHz...).
My PhIIx4 @3.9GHz/1.425vCore was running around 46/47°C under load with a Megahalems Rev.B, in Push/Pull, with a 22/23°C ambient.

Your temps look perfectly in line with 1.425v (which seems a tad high for 3.8GHz...).
My PhIIx4 @3.9GHz/1.425vCore was running around 46/47°C under load with a Megahalems Rev.B, in Push/Pull, with a 22/23°C ambient.

Thanks, I wanted to hear something like that :)

I was getting stability issues on 1.4vcore. Got BSOD after 2hr 20 mins. With 1.425 I tested for little over 6 hours with no issues. I didn't want to get above 1.4 at first but as long as the temps are not exceeding 50C I am content. I like the feeling of having another 5C headroom.

Megahalems Rev.B badass btw!

I am running the evo my cpu is overclocked to 4.3 at a idle it is running at 21c underload 44c I am using the push pull on it with a coolermaster elite 430 case it should run cooler once I get the y connector to plug them both in the cpu spot on the motherboard I am using the blademaster fans

^I doubt your CPU is an AMD Phenom II... Am I wrong?

EDIT: it sounds more like a 2500K. And there is no way to compare a Deneb with a SB, frequency and temperature wise.

I ordered it some time ago...and mounted it as a pull....after removing my rear exhaust. That config is supposed to yield the best temps according to a 212 test thread over at OC.net. If there is a difference, it is maybe 2 degrees. Hardly worth the trouble in my opinion.

your OC might be causing issues other places, mayb NB vid (also known as CPU NB Voltage) needs to be increased. Hard to say without really seeing all your OC settings, but it looks like you just increased the multiplier and voltage. you might be able to lower the CPU vcore in exchange for adding a small increase to the CPU NB voltage.

As for the 212 setup, i don't think you'll see much of a difference in adding a second fan to the cooler. I myself have added this fan and the drop was real world 1-2c while under load. In your case, since it looks like you have on fan pushing into case and one pulling, I'd suggest you add more fans to the case itself. If that was the case linked above, you have two wide open slots in the top to add some more exhaust fans. ((Though a certain some1 on these forums would tell you the top vents are meant for INTAKE. ))

Unless you're running a separate temperature sensor I'd take any CPU temps as guidlines only as they're in no way terribly accurate. I tell CoreTemp to add 10-15C to my readouts as there's just no way the low temps I'm getting are actually possible. Likewise I've found that running various different mainboards also affect what temps my CPU reports. Do not take the reported temps literally, they're simply an indicator.

Back