• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolermaster Nepton 280L report

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Very pleased with this unit. Gives me temps about 12c lower than the Enermax 240 I got last week and about 6c lower than my Noctua D14 air cooler. HWMonitor says the Nepton pump is spinning at 7200 rpm where as the Enermax pump was only turning at 2700 rpm. That may have been why the Enermax performed so poorly.

I had clearance problems with one of the fans at the edge of the board where the 8 pin 12v connector sits so I removed the 140mm stock fan and replaced it with a potent Delta 120x25mm 3400 rpm fan which even gave me a littler lower temp despite the reduced "blow" area. The stock 140mm fans that shipped with the unit may be it's weak point. Even on high there just doesn't seem to be a lot of air coming through the top side of the radiator. I just ordered a 140x38mm Silverstone fan to replace the other stock 140mm fan but will need to pick up some longer screws at the hardware store. I have all my fans on a Sunbeam Rheobus controller so I can turn them down or up as needed.

The Nepton 280L is a well-made no frills unit. I really like their system for mounting the pump. Takes all the guess work out of which notch the studs should go in on the back plate and then holds them in place. As you know, Intel in their infinite wisdom put the cooler bracket mount holes in slightly different positions with each of their socket generation changes.

Last edited:
Just replace the stock fans with something better, and you may get lower temps.

I love my little coolermaster seidon 240m in my htpc case I have even been able to pitch my 8350 in and p95 and bench at 5.0 with the little jewel.
yea, the fans need replacing when i do that.

:thup:
Thou with a NZXT case, the Kraken X60 would have kept it in the family :)
The Nepton aint bad; of course the Eisberg or the Galcier/Swiftech is a bit better thanks to copper rads.
But if you're happy with the Nepton, good for you :)

:thup:
Thou with a NZXT case, the Kraken X60 would have kept it in the family :)
The Nepton aint bad; of course the Eisberg or the Galcier/Swiftech is a bit better thanks to copper rads.
But if you're happy with the Nepton, good for you :)

Not better than the Nepton 240L according to this test lab's results:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2752&page=4

And they test synthetically to eliminate a lot of system variables that make comparison of different products difficult. I have used several of the coolers in their data base and the results I get in my own system accord very well with the results shown in Frostytech's table as far as temp yield differentials between the products.

Last edited:
trents, The Coolermaster Nepton 280L has good clearance in the CM Trooper, stock fans are a little load but that's OK, their performance makes up for that. Great Cooling too :)
IMG_1962_zps63cec7e9.jpg
IMG_1966_zpsdc2ba125.jpg

Nice lookn' setup, Jessie! It must have a little more head room above the top edge of the motherboard than mine. But I am really pleased with my case overall. A full tower case with lots of nice features for $80 is hard to beat.

Thanks trents :) Here's is a test running a i7 4770K with CM Nepton 280L , I got a hot running 4770K that takes a lot of volts for any OC.
OCCTTest14770KWC_zpsa4a90270.png
With this Water Cooler, Overclocking still runs in safe temps.

Great buy on your case :)

Jessie, so that looks like temps from a stock frequency and voltage stress test. Correct?

Ooo! 1.483 vcore. That's a chunk! What kind of Prime95 blend max core temps does that give you?

For benching I hear that you can go up to 1.5v but with lots of cooling involved. I wouldn't go past 1.4v from my understanding on 24/7 use unless you're looking to upgrade/replace (Which ever comes first) your CPU down the road. :p

The CPU-Z link is a Max OC for the i7 4770K on Water (CM Nepton 280L) if I want to go higher I'll have to go Sub-Zero.
For gaming with the i7 4770K I run stock, with turbo (Auto OC) and R9 280x CrossFire.

As I mentioned, since there wasn't enough clearance to the edge of the motherboard for the stock Nepton 140mm fan, I had to substitute a 3400 rpm Delta 120mm on that end. Of course, that leaves a section of the radiator around the 120mm fan that is not being actively cooled. So, I took the stock Nepton 140mm fan and mounted it on top of the case on that end. Didn't think it would have much effect because there is a small gap between the fan and the case top grill and another one between the radiator and the underside of the case top grill. I figured that would reduce the vacuum or the pull of the top fan so much that it probably wouldn't have any effect. But guess what? It shaved off 2c from my max temps under load.

So, I took the stock Nepton 140mm fan and mounted it on top of the case on that end. Didn't think it would have much effect because there is a small gap between the fan and the case top grill and another one between the radiator and the underside of the case top grill. I figured that would reduce the vacuum or the pull of the top fan so much that it probably wouldn't have any effect. But guess what? It shaved off 2c from my max temps under load.

Glad to hear it shed some temps. It might not be perfectly shrouded to the rad as most rigs aren't but it did make a difference and that's is all that matters. Very nice.

Back