• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling for Intel i7-4790

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarcoCPU7

My first post!

My Intel i7-4790 (Dell XPS 8700) runs BOINC (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/) on a 24/7 basis. While the chip is locked it still runs quite hot with the stock Intel cooler. My solution:
- Noctua NH-L12 dual fan cooler for the chip
- Noctua NF-F12 PWM fan in the front of the case
- GELID 60mm fan on the exterior of the power supply (pulling air through the power supply)
- No name 120mm fan on the exterior of case air outlet

The 2nd and 3rd fans run as full speeds as I have them connected to 6 pin power distribution PCB. The core and chips temps run in the mid-60s.

I imagine the biggest issue you're facing is lack of air flow through the case. Try pulling the case panel off and see how far the temps drop. If they do dramatically you may be better served getting more airflow through it then replacing the heatsink. If the temps are mid 60's though, you really aren't hot at all.

I imagine the biggest issue you're facing is lack of air flow through the case. Try pulling the case panel off and see how far the temps drop. If they do dramatically you may be better served getting more airflow through it then replacing the heatsink. If the temps are mid 60's though, you really aren't hot at all.

All of this, +1

Back