• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling question with case fan/MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

647chang

Registered
I feel like a total noob. I have a MSI Z170A M5 MOBO and a NZXT H440 case. The MOBO has 2x cpu fan and 3x system fan. The case comes with a fan hub that connects to a total of 4 fans.

1. I'm using a Cryorig H7, I'm assuming I'm only going to plug the cooler to 1x CPUfan and leave the other one not plug in?

2. Does the case fan spin when the PC is turned on? What I mean by this, does it spin all the time?

3. Can you adjust the case fan's speed through MSI BOIS?

4. Can I add an additional fan to the 2nd CPUfan connector? I'm assuming the 2nd CPUfan will only kick on if the CPU gets to hot.

I feel like a total noob. I have a MSI Z170A M5 MOBO and a NZXT H440 case. The MOBO has 2x cpu fan and 3x system fan. The case comes with a fan hub that connects to a total of 4 fans.

1. I'm using a Cryorig H7, I'm assuming I'm only going to plug the cooler to 1x CPUfan and leave the other one not plug in?
Use a splitter.

2. Does the case fan spin when the PC is turned on? What I mean by this, does it spin all the time?
Yes. No.

3. Can you adjust the case fan's speed through MSI BOIS?
Depends on if they are PWM or not.

4. Can I add an additional fan to the 2nd CPUfan connector? I'm assuming the 2nd CPUfan will only kick on if the CPU gets to hot.
See above. Your assumption is incorrect.

Some of your questions need some clarification but I'll address the best I can with some general guidelines.

1. If your motherboard has two CPU fan "headers" (a block of pins to connect the fan wires) and you are using an air cooler with only fan then only use CPU fan header #1. If an air cooler and you have two fans on the cooler then put one each on the two CPU fan headers. Don't use a splitter to connect both fans to one header.

2. If you are using a water cooler, connect the pump to one of he CPU fan headers and not to the case's fab hub. Connect the radiator fans to one of the "PWM" motherboard fan headers. PWM fan headers have four pins and one of the four pins can be used to control the fan speed from the motherboard bios. However, some all in one (AIO) water cooling systems are designed to have the radiator fans plug into the pump housing where their speed is controlled by software in Windows or by the motherboard bios along with the pump RPM.

3. I would only use he case fan hub to control the case fans, not the CPU fans and not (if water) the pump or the radiator fans. Connect the case fan hub power lead to either a PWM or a 3 pin sys fan header. The 3 pin sys fan headers have no speed control or if they do it's done in bios by reducing the voltage. This does not allow for the fine tuning that PWM technology is capable of. PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) works not by reducing the voltage but by breaking the current flow into a series of alternating spurts. The voltage remains constant but the speed is controlled by the frequency of the interrupts.

4. Mount the case fans so that you have the ones in front pushing the air into the case and the ones at the back and on top pulling the air out of the case. And yes, case fans should be spinning when the computer is powered on.

Back