• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the Crosshair IV Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slade122

I wanted to inquire about my options for cooling my Crosshair IV Formula. I'm not having any problems, I would just like to lower chipset temps by a few degrees celcius. Air cooling is preferable.

thanks.

I hear there is some shady TIM stuff betweed the mother board and the heatsink on the CHIV, maybe you can take the heatsink out and put on some AS5 or some MX-3 or something instead and it might get the temps down.

there was something about that in the review on that board in the review section, you should check it out.

+1. The problem is that Asus uses sh*t TIM when the put their boards together (fact is most companies do). All you gots to do it pop 'em up, remove the old and put new TIM on.

+1. The problem is that Asus uses sh*t TIM when the put their boards together (fact is most companies do). All you gots to do it pop 'em up, remove the old and put new TIM on.

+2

Not that it really needed it, but I re-TIMed my Biostar with some AC Silver, dropped mobo temps by 5c.

I applied new arctic silver TIM on before I booted up the board for the first time. I'm just trying to keep ambient temps down, along with keep the board itself cool. Thanks to all posters.

Please inform me if alternatives arise, whether they are water or air.

What temps are you seeing. I put some MX-2 on there before booting it up too and am seeing low 40's idle, upper 40's heavily loaded. You?

Agree with the others as well that ASUS stuff is bunk and ridiculously hard to get off, as I'm sure you noticed. From the review:

The power section gets the standard gray thermal pad, but the northbridge and southbridge get what turned out to be the bane of my existence. Some type of yellow paste-like adhesive gunk, for lack of a better word. It took more than a little elbow grease to get off.

+2

Not that it really needed it, but I re-TIMed my Biostar with some AC Silver, dropped mobo temps by 5c.

I don't know if I would use AS5 though. It's thermally conductive and I always Tim the Mosfets on my board instead of the sh*tty thermal pad.

What temps are you seeing. I put some MX-2 on there before booting it up too and am seeing low 40's idle, upper 40's heavily loaded. You?

Agree with the others as well that ASUS stuff is bunk and ridiculously hard to get off, as I'm sure you noticed. From the review:

+1. MX-2 FTW. I ran out the other day though. I'm kinda upset. I'll have to use my TX-2 and then order more. :-/

What temps are you seeing. I put some MX-2 on there before booting it up too and am seeing low 40's idle, upper 40's heavily loaded. You? :

Mine are in the mid 50's fully loaded. I might re-TIM with some MX-2 when I get some time. I should still have some left from when I put the Accelero Extreme on my 5970.

Back