• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolmaster Hyper 612 worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azuza001

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6728

Ok so I read a review of this thing earlier today and it seems to be a pain to install but once there one kick *** cooler. I was wondering what you, the all mighty cooling guru's, think of this thing for 50$? Is it worth it or is there a cheaper cooler that will do pretty much the same (like the True Spirit and the like).

Thanks.

Yes, the price is quite competitive on these and I actually rather like the mounting method. Performance looks very good for the price. In fact it makes my Noctua look rather expensive for the performance cooling performance it brings.

The mounting method is the same as that used on the Hyper 212. It keeps a good even pressure on the CPU for better contact and will keep the cooler secure when you move your computer.

Looks to me like it will have ram clearance issues with any ram that isn't low profile though. The HR-02 Macho is offset towards the O/I shield panel side to give more ram clearance. As for cooling ability, who knows? Found any reviews of it? I do like that they got away from trying to do a HDT style base with 6 heatpipes and encased it in copper, like TR does with their bases.

Hmmmm, just been looking at a few more reviews of this cooler and they're really quite mixed with some saying it's only an average cooler, others saying its great etc.... Maybe just play it safe and get a Noctua NH-D14 instead hey?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/coolermaster-hyper-612-pwm.html

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hyper-612-PWM-CPU-Cooler-Review/1398

Couple of reviews that I found for it. I really like the looks of this thing but I agree it looks like there may be ram clearance issues. I'm thinking of getting it for my IB build that will be going into my Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 board. I've already got 8 gigs of ram in it (2 sticks) and I don't plan on going up to 16 gigs anytime soon so that may not end up mattering.

It's interesting because it looks as if this may be at the same level as a True Spirit and if thats the case then is it really worth the extra cash....

Absolutely not worth it. It is huge, hard to install (takes 2 ppl) , and mine didn't clamp down on th CPU properly. Even if it did, it probably wouldn't do much better than the hyper 212, which is half the size and easy to install and half the cost.

EDIT: I should add the mounting method is NOT the same as the Hyper 212. With the 212 you install posts on the CPU side of the motherboard to the backplate which is an easy one person job, then you can completely install and secure the heatsink onto the posts from the CPU side.

With the Hyper 612, there are no posts - you have to hold the heat sink in one hand and maneuver its mounting screws through the motherboard while with your other hand, put the backplate over the screws and start the nuts on the screws. In other words it takes two people whereas the Hyper 212+ can easily be done by one.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting up about this heatsink, GeneO. It's nice to have someone speak up who has actual hands on experience with this cooler.

As for a different cooler; there are some in this price range I would look at that won't give the clearance issues, such as the True Spirit 140, the True Spirit 120 and the Havik 120 (coming soon to a review site near you ;) )

Back