• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

copper for DIY water blocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thematrixiam

any of you guys know where I could get some copper for making water blocks in canada?

Haven't decided on me method of creation just yet. Depending on cost, I may try to make just where it touches the cpu out of copper, and the rest plastic or something.

Last edited:
These guys show an Edmonton address available. I linked their location search page. That's the only province I searched.
*looks like many more in Ontario.

sweet. that works. thanks.

I'll post this here instead of starting a new thread.

What have people used? Or would they recommend using? copper flat, or sheet?

I was thinking if I try just the sheet copper, that I could build around it with other material. For my other material I was thinking either plexiglass, or maybe ever fiberglass. Or some sort of resin. If I did it with a resin I could pre-mould the shape I wanted and then pour it in to fit that shape. I already have some modeling clay that is used for that sort of thing. It would just be a matter of trying to figure out what sort of resin would be a good combination and cheap.

Right now I think I'm going to try to get a quote on some of this stuff "COPPER SHEET C122 0.032"

Also, just for referencing, I know that aluminum and copper together is a bad thing, but how bad? Would there be a way of working around it, example by adding an anti corrosive agent to the water?

Yes, but it isn't perfect. And temps suffer with such a high anti cor and water mix, like 50/50.

You NEED THICK copper, at least 3/8" thick for all the milling needed done. How much research have you done on looking at sucsessful block internals?

And pouring it, nope, it needs to be very solid, and you at home can't do it right.............

did this a long time ago. back in the days when we all used hydors/rainbow pumps/eheims. I'm sure some few are still using them. I even used a modified marineland S660 power head in a 4x4 conduit box with my diy copper blocks to cool my kids Athlon XP rig. Quietest rig ever hands down. Do you really want to go that route of DIY? It's really not cost efficient, especially when you can pickup used blocks for so cheap now. Also, the time involved can me immense. I made pin grid blocks out of 3/8" block. They do work great but then you have to create a mounting system for your board. It can be done but I finally broke down and bought commercially made blocks and ditched my diy blocks.

You NEED THICK copper, at least 3/8" thick for all the milling needed done. How much research have you done on looking at sucsessful block internals?

And pouring it, nope, it needs to be very solid, and you at home can't do it right.............

ok. i was looking at the thins stuff because I was thinking about moulding and pouring my own casing. The casing would have the channels, not the copper, if I was to do it that way.

As for used blocks, is there a good site that has them? Preferably Canadian?

Even if you put all of your channels ect into another part of the block you want a base atleast 2-3mm thick. I used to MFG blocks back in the AXP days that were polycarbonate topped with a simple 50x50x3mm pure CU base.

ok. i was looking at the thins stuff because I was thinking about moulding and pouring my own casing. The casing would have the channels, not the copper, if I was to do it that way.

As for used blocks, is there a good site that has them? Preferably Canadian?

We have a very good classified used section. Not sure if you can see it. Need 100 good posts and a proper emal addy.

Back