• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper grease as a tim?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The copper based anti-seize I've used runs all sorts of petroleum based goo at the slightest application of heat. I wouldn't use it for TIM.

If there is metal in the paste, it will conduct electricity. Period.
Common sense prevails here.

There are plenty of conductive TIM's on the market. Smart and safe application obviously falls under your "common sense" rhetoric, but it is by no means "unsafe" unless you really screw the pooch on it.

I feel this is trying to reinvent the wheel here a little bit, there are some interesting patents created in the past couple years for thermally conductive sheets (graphene typically), and those will probably be a game changer in the future, but thats probably far out (cost prohibitive I'd imagine).

been using a super cheap tim for 6+ months and all good,
it's better than all of the mac gyver stuff (tooth paste, mayonnaise, buttermilk, or anything else you can imagine).
it's also good for our sanity's sake.

if the tim is something hard to get in your region, better buy a can full of tim.
any tim for electrical purpose will do their job done, especially if you check your h/w periodically.

Dear Soulcatcher668.

Yes, I just reply for this thread subject. Some people ask question for copper grease then I answer.

As I know, some vendor like "Circuit Work" push their production CW7100 Silver Grease for thermal conductive.

I think you can try it if you have time or just for fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Silver Conductive Grease

The CIR CW7100 CircuitWorks® syringe dispenser for precise application of grease to provide superior electrical and thermal conductivity, lubrication and protection.

Maximum electrical and thermal conductivity
Protects against moisture and corrosion
Thermally stable over a wide temperature range
Conductive lubricant containing pure silver
Fills connector gaps to maximize electrical and thermal conductivity
Controls static discharge
Grounds circuits

Dear bob4933.

I got some graphene thermal paste, it is good and wont conductive.

It thermal conductivity is 7 W/mk .

Thanks.

Most standard thermal compound consists of silicone. However, silicone doesn't have a high thermal conductivity, so they also contains zinc oxide to improve this. The zinc oxide also explains its white colour.

High-End thermal compounds are usually silicone-free, and use metal-based additives (e.g. aluminum oxide or nitride, or even pulverized silver!) instead of Zinc Oxide.

Back